Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Twist dreads in black hair

Danielle Marie
@danielle-marie
13 years ago
1 posts
I actually heard about this dreading method on here, but I was wondering if it is just a basic two strand twist left to dread or if there are special care instictions?Thanks everyone :)DM
updated by @danielle-marie: 01/13/15 08:59:17PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

any type twuists left to dread the twists only define the sections its uneasacery completeky and the type twists (or coils) u start with make no difference

just do not keep twisting after the 1st day (unless they fall apsrt conpketely) once they hold shape never retwist again

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts

The type of twist matters a little, depending on your type of hair. two strand twists hold better in type 3 hair, where as type four, which is the majority of afro-textured hair, will hold with regular twists, also called comb coils. If your hair is softer and more curly than the average kinky afro-texture hair you have type 3 and are best off with two strand twists.comb coils are usually preferred by type 4 because they dread a little faster and sometimes with two strand you can still see the original twist once it is dreaded.

Other than that, you can treat em exactly as SE said. If you want a neater look, which alot of people go for you CAN twist for maintenance, but I wouldn't recommend it more than 4 - 6 times a year.

I have type 3 and comb coils didn't hold in my hair so ended up doing tnr, but two strand would've been another option. Also, type 1 and type 2 hair (that's the straight and wavy hair of euro or asian) will NOT hold twists no matter what you do, and even some type 3 hair won't. But that's going into specific curl definitions and I don't know them. hope that was helpful

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

thats very helpful :) ..u can twist..like she said if yu do it very rare and not tight at all ..i would not recomend it however the "neat look' it creates ..doesnt look neat it looks unhealthy

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts
np. and I def agree with the not tight thing too. I think I know what look your talking about with the unhealthy thing, the really tight at te scalp with the perfectly sectioned dreads look. But I didn't do it tight (like you can't see my scalp at all) and I think it helps my roots to not look all cave-man-ish.
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
theres a white girl on youtube that started her locks just by twisting her sections. she has super curly, coarse hair. i think it looks pretty amazing and if i had hair like hers i would've done it that way, too.
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts
oh cool. I just checked out a coupleof her vids and it's not that clear but they look like two strand twists. Yeah, it's not really about your ethnicity, but your hair type.
Tarra Scott
@tarra-scott
11 years ago
4 posts

I guess you could do rope twists (coil each strand then do a two-strand twist). Once the coils are set, you can untwist them. I don't have very thick hair (although it seems like everyone else in the world does) so I have to make the most of what I have. That's why I chose comb coils instead of twists. I have 3C/4A hair so they stay in pretty well with watered-down locking gel. It's been 8 weeks now and they are locking or at least separated well enough that I don't really need to cover them anymore when I wash my hair.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form