Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

If You Ever Used the Crochet Method

Knotty John
@knotty-john
13 years ago
78 posts
If you ever used a crochet hook, were you satisfied with the results. Why/ why not? Also what size hook did/do you use?Happy dreading everyone!!
updated by @knotty-john: 02/14/15 03:35:33AM
Choppah
@choppah
13 years ago
20 posts

prob turns out good if u do it once.. but if you keep poking at them, you totally break hairs and make them stiff and uncomfy... i destroyed my dreads with a 0.75 hook... i should have figured that poking in relatively tight dreads would lead to disaster i totally blame myself.. when i combed them out alooot of hair was lost.. and i had to trim 5 cm of totally destroyed hair... tho i would never recomend a needle for dreads, the deadliest is to keep poking there.. never do it..

hair is fragile

tha tron
@tha-tron
13 years ago
147 posts
This method can be harmful due to the dread wearer becoming obsessed, I think this is where the damage occurs. I have used this method don't know exactly what size I used
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
never ever ever wouldf poke holes in mine seen way too many disastersthe ppl who are satisfied just dont realize yet how devastiating it is

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
hows that a dig? just saying i wouldnt ever do it

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

sheresa ..this is knotty john a member here not knotty jonny clean of dreadheadhq ..i was wondering why all the anger and refferences to horrible dreads and products till i realized u were confusing the names haha now i understand but wanted to clarify

and hannah my comment about ppl not realizing how horrible it is was more to like youtubers who go around recommending it desoite the fact they just pulled off a dread while demonstrating how to do it

--
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts
I think most methods of starting dreads is fine so long as you leave them alone afterwards. I still always reccommend tnr but I know one girl who crocheted hers a couple times and they were fine. The problem comes in when you get obsessed with having "perfect" dreads and start using it as maintenance. More than once or twice is prob way too much.
ourdub
@ourdub
13 years ago
47 posts

used hook: yes

satisfied: for the time, yes... in the long run, no.

for the time (when i started my interlocked and backcombed dreads) they were helpful in keeping the tips from unravelling. it also helped me keep a more organized look for work.

in the long run - i can see which dreads have been damaged from this (thin spots) as well as - i realized it was more work to keep hooking all hairs in - and much easier to leave them to do thier thing.. they eventually grew in to the appropriate lock)

most of my tips are now rounded - which takes forever and a couple days to fully dry.. and yes they are a bit tighter now than i would like as well.

size: 1.9mm

Knotty John
@knotty-john
13 years ago
78 posts
So I'm guessing the smaller the needle, the less damage if any there is gonna be done to the hair. What would be a good size needle I can use?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

nione none nione yea the smaller the needle the less the damage but thinkk a momment theres not a neele made thats not at least 10 times the thickness of a hair

u never should use any..period

why wiukld u even ask that question?

--
 / 7

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form