Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

is it normal for 1 month old backcombed dreads to not look like dreads?

Isaiah Carter
@isaiah-carter
13 years ago
14 posts
Ive had my dreads for a little bit more than a month and im wondering if it takes awhile for the dreads to start looking like dreads i used the backcombing method unfortunately before i found this website. my dreads are all sectioned out and locking up good but it just looks like matted down hair i get comments about how they dont actually look like dreads i was just wondering if it takes a little longer.
updated by @isaiah-carter: 02/14/15 03:31:48AM
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
they don't look like dreads yet because they aren't. backcombing was just a jump start for your hair. it will take months for them to tighten and shrink and start to look like dreads.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ofcourse are u seperating enough tho

but backcombed dreads lok worse and worse b4 they look better and u ewill get alot of i thought u were getting dreads commebts from ppl who think dreads are gotten not grown..ppl who understand dreads will know whats up

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
edited title to be more helpful

--
Amy Lee
@amy-lee
13 years ago
31 posts
I'm not telling you to do this but just letting you know that last night I finger combed (no tools just hands) my unfortunate fluffy puffy sausage looking backcombed dreads out and went over them with a loose t'n'r and they look and feel much better already. I know this site mainly supports the natural method but I'm glad I 'fixed' mine some what. I'm much happier and I feel my dread babies are not of to a much better, healthier start.
Amy Lee
@amy-lee
13 years ago
31 posts
*now off to a much better, healthier start :)

Amy Lee said:
I'm not telling you to do this but just letting you know that last night I finger combed (no tools just hands) my unfortunate fluffy puffy sausage looking backcombed dreads out and went over them with a loose t'n'r and they look and feel much better already. I know this site mainly supports the natural method but I'm glad I 'fixed' mine some what. I'm much happier and I feel my dread babies are not of to a much better, healthier start.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

tnr just is more effective and healthier

o arguments there

but if the backcombs at all ytogether might as well jyst give it a few more months to dread

and i wouldnt say the site "mainly supports the natural method' as much as supports healthier methods and naturals at the top ofd that list

then tnr

and then backcomb

backkcomb being at the very bottom of the list of what could be called healthy

it is fairly damaging but not devastating..i wouldnt put it in the preffered catagory tho

some minght ad thats ok

--
Isaiah Carter
@isaiah-carter
13 years ago
14 posts
ya and i think when i backcombed i didnt do it "alot" just enough to get it knotted because they arent actually puffy and didnt lose that much length at all and the frizz is at a minimum mainly you can see it when you get up close only. except if i dont tend to the frizz for multiple days. and they are starting to take shape better as well. also this is kind of off the topic but how small can dreads be to dread cuz i have a couple pretty small dreads in the front that im a little worried about there just a little behind compared to the other ones and is there a way to put 2 dreads together into one dread or does that come naturally im guessing. sorry that i kind of got off topic
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
13 years ago
154 posts

yes very normal. they tend to fall apart if u dont keep up with them too. once they actually turn into dreads which i mean matt together to where theyll stay like that after washing and all the good stuff then theyll look more like dreads.its all part of the process hun patience is ver necessry and dont get overwhelmed with how long it takes.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

they can be like the thickness of the letter l on your screen and that can actualy be 2 or 3 micro dreads combined i had 1 kikethat ..3 combined and 4 feet long

combining comes natural if u want them to combine just done seperate in a couple months they join together

Isaiah Carter said:

ya and i think when i backcombed i didnt do it "alot" just enough to get it knotted because they arent actually puffy and didnt lose that much length at all and the frizz is at a minimum mainly you can see it when you get up close only. except if i dont tend to the frizz for multiple days. and they are starting to take shape better as well. also this is kind of off the topic but how small can dreads be to dread cuz i have a couple pretty small dreads in the front that im a little worried about there just a little behind compared to the other ones and is there a way to put 2 dreads together into one dread or does that come naturally im guessing. sorry that i kind of got off topic

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form