Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlock thickness

Ana Rita Miranda
@ana-rita-miranda
13 years ago
2 posts

So I got my dreads about three months ago, and I that decision after enviously watching other people with them.

I love having dreads , but Im not really happy with them, because they are really thick, all together I have 18 dreadlocks and when I hear that somepeoplehave like 50 dreads, im like: D: and when I see people with 50 dreads im still really envious! they weren't really sectioned properly although the sections are about 1 inch.

So im posting this because im wondering what I should do. Should I brush them out and start again, or is there so magical way to split them, what should I do.

updated by @ana-rita-miranda: 01/13/15 08:58:41PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

18 wuill be huge u can brush em olut or split em but buth are damaging to an extent i think splittiong them more so

umm..your 3 months in thats lil ways in..but

before ui can guess the best way to proceed i need you to definde "got my dreads

how did u "get dreads" (god that terms so harmful..dreads grow dreads form..getting..making..forcing..is the wromg way to approach dreading and thats why ppl rush off to salondss and have horible things done to them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

ok i just looked

u crochrtted them

now heres some unfortunate truths

if you think they are too thick now .. wait 6 months crochet makesthen 1/3 as thick as a healthy dread will be..so they are going to get thicker still as they recover

crochet combing em out is gonna be more dificult resulting in more lost hair

splitting..umm..im not sure id imagine the extreme tighteness u get from crochet will make that harder too

possible plans ..and these you have to concider and decide for yourself

1. start over..comb out and gonatural or tnr after a couple weeks healing u will lose a fair amount of hair be starting with somwewhat thinned damaghed hair but can go natural i=kr..gentle..tnr
  2. accept the thicck dreads and encourage lotsa thin dreads in between..this will take time ..seperatre alot get that root fuz goin then encourage it to dread seperate from the thick dreads..they will be shorter but fill in the gaps and multiply every few months u could have 18 real thick with 20-30-50 real thin ones all in between
  3. try to split..ive never split a dread but as i understand it ..try to find a natural gap in the roots ..a thinner area that will be easier to split pry them apasrt from roots to tips slowly and carefullt....this is gonna rip every hair all tge way up..keep in mind that every haor weaves through the dread everywhere so your probly gonmna break every hair un the dread at least oncce maybe many times(theoreticly a 1 inch thick dread 6 inches long will statisticly have every hair broken into 6 peices)

it might not work out to that in reality but should theoreticly average out to that..
thats not gonna be devastatinmg but does cause a degree of weakening (so did the crochert tho)

weigh your choices and decide on what you think is best for you..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
13 years ago
154 posts

at 3 months they are still able to be brushed out. so what i would do it maybe wash and soak them in conditioner or theres this site called knotty boy and they have a dreadlock removal kit. its pretty much conditioner with aloe and all that stuff. but then u could slowly take a comb and pick them out starting at the ends heading up to the roots. very time consuming and youll definately need some help especially for the back ones. i did this once a long time ago and it took me a few day to take them all out. but then you can restaret them and make them as thin as you want but fyi if you make them too thin they may eventually start to thin so much at the root that they may start to break so dont go to thin. and just keep in mind that everyones hair is diffrent. like i have big and little dreads long and short ones but i have really thick hair so say if i had 50 dreads someone else who had the same thickness of dreads might only have like 40 or 30 cuz of the thickness of their hair. theres so many veriations. plus i backcombed mine so within time my dreads actually got skinnier the more that they dreaded up where other ppls might get thicker. but only having 18 does seem like you made them pretty fatbwhich the only thing that is wrong with that is that your unhappy with it. so id say think to yourself exactly how thick you would like them to be and just start from there because if you dread them up then take them out over nd over youll end up with dreads with a shitload of split ends which with dark hair even though u have dreads u can still tell theres split ends in them. so be easy and take your time with coming up with the right thickness for you.

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
if you crocheted then i would just leave them be and let them loosen up and mature a bit and then split them later. quite a few people on the forum have split mature dreads and its not as bad as it sounds. i have a friend who started hers with crochet and three years later they're beautiful. {{hugs}}
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
13 years ago
298 posts
just wait let them mature and split them i had like 60 ive been splitting some that werent sectioned right and they are spliting them selves ( i had alot of those) i now have 71 :) i do have very thick hair tho
Ana Rita Miranda
@ana-rita-miranda
13 years ago
2 posts

Thank you all for you advice, I'm gonna have to think about my options and make a decision.

But I think I might end up brushing them out and doing them again.

Jack Roth
@jack-roth
13 years ago
298 posts

haha yeah an same here ones ends up better than the other but there all pretty good now

Canon P
@canon-p
13 years ago
50 posts
dude huge dreads rock! but ya it might get a lil uncomfortable cuz of the the weight...
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form