Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What do you think i should do?(starting dreads again)

Ban the Dead
@ban-the-dead
13 years ago
7 posts
I was wondering what you guys think i should do about geting my dreads. There 3 options IMO, unless one of you can come up with a sweet plan, and both have problems.My hair is 5 inches in front4 in middle3 in backI was hoping to get a job at the airport in July and so i gotta look not messy for that.I plan on swimming a lot in the summer in Lake Michagan.I was going to try to ask this girl out Monday.Option 1I backcomb my hair in the next week or so and let it dread and they'll be all ready by summer. They'll be really ready by the time i apply at the airport and the water probably wont hurt them as much as if they were babies.Option 2I go the natural way starting now. Is it even long enough to start dreading naturally? i use residue free and wouldn't comb and would spray sea salt water in it and stuff.Option 3 wait till may/June and starting going natural then. Will the water kill em? will they be ready by July? Will it even be long enough then?So that was my best attempt to organize this for you guys but yeah any ideas? or votes on which to go with?
updated by @ban-the-dead: 01/13/15 08:58:06PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

option 4

let me explain

option 1 your assumming backcomb would be the best option but its not twist and rip would be better

option 2 well parts are long enough to go natural now parts arent

option 3 waitting a month or 2 will gain u enough length to go natural however they wont be 'ready" by july

so we are left with options 4 and options 5

option 4 do twist and rip tomoro let it dread

or

option 5

go natural starting now in july be prepared to defend your decision to go natural at the u=interview

keep in mind last time i flew all the security checkers checking for bombs had turbans on the airports tend to accept cultural diversity i saw dreads working there too

so just defend your dreading decision with a well thought out statement and you should be fine

why r u waitting till then to apply?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ban the Dead
@ban-the-dead
13 years ago
7 posts
Just cause i wanna enjoy my summer doing stuff i wanna do, like ride my pocket rocket and swim. I worked the last summers and so since i quit last christmas eve i wanna enjoy this summer
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Well hell...I'm curious! You said you were starting dreads AGAIN. What did you do before? You would think that would give you some input on which way to go for what works best for you...what was the situation before?
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
13 years ago
393 posts
I am going to say even out the length and just let your hair do what it is going to do.
Zack4
@zack4
13 years ago
38 posts
I just started my dreads in febuary an I'm doing neglect because I love the look and how easy it is, I'm planning on getting a job this summer an honestly if a company listens to wat u have to say about your dreads an doesn't hire you because of it then I wudnt wana work there anyway
Ban the Dead
@ban-the-dead
13 years ago
7 posts
I used to have hair down to my chin and i backcombed it all into dreads, i had em only for four days cause i worked at Jewel and they stuck out too much for them, after a couple days they were pretty good but i wanted to go natural so i took em out. I didn't comb for a month and it didn't really dread, this time i'm a use super sea salt spray and i'm a get me a wool hat. and now i dont work at jewel anymore so i'm good there.
UUURP
@uuurp
13 years ago
20 posts
Be ready to wait for close to a year before seeing solid results the natural route and less job opportunities. Fact.
Z2
@z2
13 years ago
34 posts
Well, no matter method you choose, it's going to look messy for about a year or so. Unless you crochet, which is disastrous - does a lot of damage and requires a ton of maintenance. I think you're going to be tying back your locks no matter what method you choose for that interview...I'd recommend going natural...I had a couple backcombed sets and natural looks way better to me. Not even close...
UUURP
@uuurp
13 years ago
20 posts
Unfortunately your optimism does not suffice for real world scenarios as good as it sounds, and as much as I would love to agree with you, I cant fully. Yes, dreads can maybe give you a leverage at a specific job opportunity but that window is narrow but maybe becoming wider through sites like this, but when speaking of society as a whole dreads are very misunderstood as we know, yes? and to further that, often a negative stigma is implied if you are specifically white with locs, due to natural ignorance of culture through history. What defines a job between us is subjective, but as for doors opening while having dreads is not helping you in any way shape or form, quite the opposite when speaking on first impressions. These ideas could become a whole different thread but these are my opinions from personal experience and learning from an entire family of dreads from all over. My unkept style of natural locs is for sure a disadvantage, but I have known people with the most pristine controlled locs that would tell you the same

Amber Claire said:

Why would he not be able to get a job?or have less opportunities?course he will, they can always be tied back, Anyway its the person not the dreads. Ok everyone may not like dreads but notall people judge peoplewanting to look different, this caneven help get you a job, shows you think out the box.

Anyways i would go natural as its so cool watching your hair change, let the hair, do its thing,enjoy your summer and ask the girl out:)I hope it goes well and keep us posted with your dreddy journey.

peace :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form