Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Have problems with your dreads and helmets?

Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts
Since I started riding a motorcycle recently, I have been trying to figure out the best way to get my helmet on. For a while, I just tried to get it on as gently as possible, because it would pull at my dreads and reaaaally hurt, and the tension on my scalp was unbearable.BUT I was searching through my drawer of stuff I never throw away, and I found this! http://reviews.underarmour.com/2471/8000071/skull-cap-reviews/reviews.htm It's a skull cap thing that keeps your hair tucked down. It doesn't help with the dreading process because it's so smooth, but it really helps getting the helmet on.I used to wear it for wrestling when I had a long mohawk. I placed it on my head (not tucking dreads underneath, there was no need) and I was surprised at how easily it slid over my hair! No problems.And my baby dreads flap in the wind behind me. I can't wait until they're like 2 feet long lmao.So, just a tip for anyone who has this problem. And anyone thinking about riding motorcycles, do it!
updated by @brandon-arnold: 02/14/15 05:37:41AM
Dan B
@dan-b
13 years ago
58 posts
The truth is you require a new helmet that fits lol.I stuck to mine a little to long before having it re trimmed.Try a piece of satin and spray adhesive it inside ya lid. Being v carefull not to damage the visor.Then no need for a corky looking shower cap when you de helmet outide the cinema lolI've been riding for 9 years welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycles :-)
Dave2
@dave2
13 years ago
71 posts

yep noticed the same prob.

time for a new lid.

Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts
What do you all ride?Yeah I think I'll stick to my current helmet. Not enough ca$h for a new one
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts

I use a full-face helmet btw, and it fits my head perfectly, just pulls my hair too much when I put it on. I believe if I go up another size, I'd lose the protective properties the helmet offers.

And my brother wants a rebel 250. We used those in the MSF course. Awesomeindestructiblebikes!

hippie mama
@hippie-mama
13 years ago
154 posts
we got my son a skateboard for xmas and hes 2 1/2 yrs old right but since he has shoulder length dreadlocks it makes it so his helmet size is bigger then it would normally be so instead of like a helmet for a 3yr old we had to get one for a 5yr old it still fit snug cuz of all his hair but its just right for him. i mean he doesnt have a big head its just the bulkiness of the dreads ya know. plus the helmet has the velcro on it where you put the padding on so you have a cushion between your head and the helmet and we havent had a problem with it yet but thnx for the idea of a skull cap or who knows maybe even a bandana just incase it ever does end up bothering him or if we ever loose one of those cushions and the velcro is exposed cuz velcro and dreads do not mix well my friend, owie
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
13 years ago
298 posts
man i ride a motorbike i just had to take the soft cushioning out of my helmet :P i just whack it on my head :)
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
13 years ago
298 posts
I ride a yamaha virago 125cc ive ridden it for 3 years now :)
Zynobek
@zynobek
13 years ago
21 posts

Thank you guys so much. I'm glad I found this post.

I started riding my motorcycle in December (2010).

In addition to having similiar problems with my dreads and full-face helmet, Ihave to find creative ways to "tuck" my dreads. They're around 4 ft long and fall past my hips, so I actually sit on them.I usually shove my dreads inside my jacket and into in a pocket. That gets uncomfortable after a while...LOL

Any recommendations???

BTW...I ride a Ninja ZX6R

Z

Matted Dew
@matted-dew
13 years ago
213 posts

HELL YAH! somebody should start up a dready motorcycle group on here!!!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form