Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural Baby dreads

Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts

I recently decided to take the plunge into dreadlocks and started them a little over a month ago. From the age of 16 I've done everything imaginable to my hair, from chelseas, to mohawks, to relaxers, to texturizers, to blue, red and purple. And then for two years straight I rocked the same look: a 'fro. Natural hair became really important to me but the fro was so difficult to maintain. So I looked into dreadlocks and this site was probably one of the most helpful I found. On January 27th I started my dreads with the rip and twist (or tear) method using only a comb and no product. While my hair is african textured, it is very soft and curly rather than "kinky" (no I'm not mixed, that's just my hair) so when I tried the twist and 2-strand twist methods, they just didn't hold.

The biggest problem I've had is keeping my roots separated as they haven't locked up yet (there is about 1 to 2 inches of unlocked hair at the root) I don't want to twist them as the twists come out as soon as they get wet even with a nylon (I rinse almost daily as I am trying not to shampoo very often) and I don't want to twist them that often. i tried rubber bands but most of them came out after a couple weeks and I noticed my hair locked up a lot quicker when they were out of my hair rather than in. So any tips or things I could try would be immensely helpful.

The second biggest problem is my family. The last thing I want to do is come on a public forum and complain about my mom, but I'm not sure how much longer I can ignore her comments without giving in and combing out my hair. Tips on that front would be helpful as well lol.

BTW, super stoked to be a part of the forum. I love hearing about other people's journeys and am always amazed with the solidarity I see amongst "dreaders"

updated by @lu-a: 01/13/15 08:56:51PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome and no rubber bands thats no good

lose the nylon as well

just seperate there roots if they try to join together (the nylons probly making them join like crazy)

is your hair typicaly dry?

dfinately dont twist or worry bout the loose roots at all they only need time

a wool tam will help and help mom not complain nonstop at least haha

dealing with mom

let her comoplain

dont let her complaints get u down..or affect you..laugh and say ok mom.. but otherwise ignore em..let the complaints become more an inside joke with ya she complains u ignore her ya both know she'll complain and you'll ignore it

sometimes ya cant do nithin bout the way some ppl do domething so u just gotta let em do it and keep on doin what your doin..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts

Yes, my hair is extremely dry, that's why it joins so easily at the root. I've been separating (because i gave up ont the nylon and bands) but i have to do it every other day. It's kind of a pain.

And yeah about my mom, it's definitely starting to become a running joke.

Thanks for the advice

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

was a running joke for 15 years with mine everytime id look her direction shed make scissor cutting motions with her fingers and every convo mentioned cutting ..an annoying joike ..the thing that broke the cycle was when she saw conservative older ladies loving my dreads and finaly realized it wasnt something to be embarrassed about i guess or something but she finaly stopped buncha years ago

--
Sieramisu
@sieramisu
13 years ago
14 posts

if your mom doesn't like your baby dread, what did she think of the moehawk and hair collors?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
haha yea remind her you ciuld always go back to a green mohawk if shed like

--
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts

lol she didn't enjoy those either. she was especially not pleased when she went on a trip to cali and came home to my new blue chelsea haha.

The difference though is that I didn't live with her for the majority of that stuff (and def not the 'hawk) but I recently moved back home to go back to school.

Sieramisu
@sieramisu
13 years ago
14 posts

o0o that makes sense.

i had a hawk before this, and my mom HATED it. vehemently.

she would leave the room i was in.

so now, she just happy i have hair on my head i'm working on growing hahaha

and that's what you call a bait and switch. :p

Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
I've been lucky enough to have pretty supportive family, my husband loves how my new dreads smell and my grandmother just giggles and doesn't get it because she still has the old stereotype of dreads in her head as she puts it, and doesn't see why anyone would WANT knots in their hair, i only get looks from her when i say our 2 year old is wanting dreads and she thinks it's us wanting them not Navi, def don't do rubber bands, I would suggest a wool tam but at the rate your roots are "eating eachother" it might be more of a pain then a help. Maybe you should use a bit more conditioning in your washing? I am not really sure other than to say good luck w/ all the seperating and as they mature you should definately have to do that less...also don't let others get to you it's your hair if you're happy and it's not hindering anything then just let your mom tease you and go about your business....glad to see you here!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form