Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

twist and rip okay for maintenance on ends?...and a few other newbie questions

Angie Glaze
@angie-glaze
13 years ago
18 posts

First off, I just want to say that after finding this site,so many of my questions have been answered just since reading through the discussions. I'm only about a week into my 2nd full set of dreads, the first set I had 5 yrs ago but didn't know any better at the time,and they were started with backcombing and wax.Horrible! This time, I had about 6 started through neglect in the back of my head, and a friend of mine did the rest of my head through twist and rip about a week ago. They are doing well,I've washed them once. Through information I found on this site, I was glad to hear that it's common for T&R to result in "braided' looking dreads,but if I understand correctly-that will pass as they lock more? Here's my questions:

1. I'm confused about doing any twist and rip after the initial 1st time. My ends are not holding together,and didn't even really when we initially dreaded my hair,either. Is it okay for me to T&R the ends as more of a maintenance measure, to help them? I'm only twisting/ripping up to the point where the hair is matted and holding together. I hope I've explained this well enough...

2. I know this is a common question,but I'm still confused about the issue of loose hair/crocheting. Should I not be trying to pull the loose hairs in to the dread with the crochet hook? Because if,in the long run,it's going to be damaging--then I won't.I'm just confused, because it seems so many people use the crochet hook,but I've read several posts on this forum that led me to believe it was a bad idea.

3.If crocheting IS bad-- is there anything else i should be doing to incorporate the loose hair? Or will it just on its own, with time?

Thanks in advance, and also for being so helpful to me already. I will try to post pics soon

updated by @angie-glaze: 01/13/15 08:56:27PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

1 leave em alone the tips will be better off staying loose so dont keep tnr'ing them

2no crochet ever the loose hairs will take care of themselves crochets a vanity thing that backfirews causing more loose hairs and more work

3 covered by 2

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angie Glaze
@angie-glaze
13 years ago
18 posts
Thanks so much. Some of the loose ends are probably 3 inches or more, I guess I shouldn't have made it sound like it's just the tip ends. If I should still leave them alone then I definitely will...will those eventually dread up, as well? I hope so!
Charlotte
@charlotte
13 years ago
57 posts

I think all your question can generally be answered by the instruction "Leave them alone!" ;)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u said u had a few natural dreads in the back

those dreaded up without help did they not?

the ends will too

but 3 inches undreaded is normal

it will get less over time if they dont blunt u will end up with 1/2 to an inch undreaded normaly

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angie Glaze
@angie-glaze
13 years ago
18 posts
Okey doke...thanks again. This site is an awesome resource :)
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts
I "maintained" my dreads with TnR for a few weeks after I started. Only when I stopped did they actually start locking up
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form