Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Does separating take a step backwards?

HendrixMama
@hendrixmama
13 years ago
61 posts
So, my almost 4 month old dread babies have been wanting to divide into 2 or 3 dreads, and I have been encouraging that since I started out with only about 20 dreads and wanted more like 30-40. My question is the ones I separated are just frizzy from about half way down to the tips. Will those just eventually loop up like the rest of the ones that didn't need separating, and mature later? I'm ok with whatever happens, I'm just wondering if it sort of undid the progress of the what would have been giant dreads?
updated by @hendrixmama: 01/13/15 08:56:07PM
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts
They should be fine. I think with more freedom to move around, they actually lock up quicker anyway. I justseparateda lot of hairs that were crossing over, and I feel like my locks are coming along faster now. Could be just me, but I don't think it sets them back much at all.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u mean splitting 1 dread into 2? i dunnoi never did that but seperating dreads that try to grow together dont affect it at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
13 years ago
217 posts
i think you might be seperatingwhole dreadsinstead of just seperating at the base so they don't grow together. that's fine if your trying to increase the number of dreads you have, but typically you just kinda wrap your fingers around the base of a dread and then slowly work your way down the dread, gently breaking all the little hair webs around the dread along the way.or you can take the end of a couple dreads and pull them apart from each other and seperate that way, but i find from root to tip to be more effective.
HendrixMama
@hendrixmama
13 years ago
61 posts

Ya, I was splitting from the root, cause a few of my sections were really big, like 2"x 2" and they were starting to dread separately at the roots, in more reasonable sized sections. They were sorta like a "Y" with the 2 ends as roots, so I just ripped them all the way down to the tips into 2 and some wanted to be 3. So I am left with like 2 inches of undreaded hair at the root, another couple inches of dreaded hair, then 1/3-1/2 of the rest is just dry frizzy loose hair down to the tips. Like I said, I'm not worried or anything, I just wondered if anyone has done the same sort of thing and what happened is all.

Thanks guys.

JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
13 years ago
217 posts
when mine were doing the splitting thing in the beginning i just totally undid the tnr i had in and remade them into two or three or whatever. if you were able to pull them apart, that's cool too. they sound like they're doing what they should be!
HendrixMama
@hendrixmama
13 years ago
61 posts
That's pretty much what I did too, the roots were separating on their own, but the t&r seemed to be stopping the natural sections, so I had to undo a little bit at the bottom of a couple. I probably should have just gone "neglect" since it seems like the back which I left alone with no t&r is looking like it's progressing faster and in way better sections... oh well tho I will get there eventually, your hair looks GREAT!

Eva Lovelocks said:
when mine were doing the splitting thing in the beginning i just totally undid the tnr i had in and remade them into two or three or whatever. if you were able to pull them apart, that's cool too. they sound like they're doing what they should be!
wagerbomb
@wagerbomb
13 years ago
8 posts
hey just wanted to say that a few days ago i seperated a bunch of my fatties .... i went from having 32 dreads to about 50 from just splitting the ones that wanted to split .... and since my dreads are not even a month old yet it made it easy to do ... they are you and mine frayed out as well ... i ended upp putting bands on the tips to try and have them stay in there sections most ppl advise noit to do this but they are lockiing faster then they did without them .... and another thing i have been doing is sleeping with a loose wool hat on ... i think from the static from the wool it is helping them dread up faster ... and the frayed parts have settled down and locking back in again ... and since i seperated them they are now laying down flat ... and i dont look like a "pineapple head" as my gf says lol good luck bud
HendrixMama
@hendrixmama
13 years ago
61 posts
Were your ends really frizzy after splitting? I see that your hair is pretty short, mine is half way down my back, but man my hair turned into a giant frizz ball after splitting... the roots have a bit of loose hair then a couple inches of dreaded hair then its just frizz city to the tips... I am hoping that it settles down after a few washes... cause it's hard to keep them separated from each other at the ends.

wagerbomb said:
hey just wanted to say that a few days ago i seperated a bunch of my fatties .... i went from having 32 dreads to about 50 from just splitting the ones that wanted to split .... and since my dreads are not even a month old yet it made it easy to do ... they are you and mine frayed out as well ... i ended upp putting bands on the tips to try and have them stay in there sections most ppl advise noit to do this but they are lockiing faster then they did without them .... and another thing i have been doing is sleeping with a loose wool hat on ... i think from the static from the wool it is helping them dread up faster ... and the frayed parts have settled down and locking back in again ... and since i seperated them they are now laying down flat ... and i dont look like a "pineapple head" as my gf says lol good luck bud
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
I seperated a couple of really big ones that I had attempted to section off before too much knowledge, they kept their "form" if you will but haven't seemed to progress anymore just a lot of loose hairs lol, i figure they'll do their thing when they're ready tho!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form