Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreading the 1st few weeks of dreading

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts

with any method except natural its typical to freak out constantly over every lil unexpected change in your baby dreads, it starts with oh my god they are getting looser not tighter then progresses to oh my god i got my dreads wet then theres a loose hair or a loop or a bump or a bend oh my god what should i do?then you rush off to the internet and start posting ..ive had dreads for 3 while weeks and they aremnt the way i wanted them helllpor..ive had dreads a month now whens it ok to wash them..over and over the answer ya get is..relax, give them time..dreads will do what they do without you needing to fuss over them..then the next day..maybe 2 your back at the computer with a whole new set of questions..so how do you break that cycle?get rid of all your mirrors ..your calanderes too..forget all about your hair about how much time has passeddont try to dread...try to live without the need to fuss with your hair first..dreads arent a look but a lifestyle..so stop thinking how u want to look instead start living how you want to livethe 1st day you get "nice dreads" on the street thats the day ya should allow yourself a peek in a mirrorofcourse feeling instread of looking is ok feeling u can check to make sure sections arent growing together...and that is all the info u need to get great dreadsif you wait to check on progress till others point out the great progress you will be fascinated not frustrated by the proccess

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 09/26/20 06:41:47PM
Blonde Dready
@blonde-dready
15 years ago
84 posts
haha most of the freak out things sound like me. lol i started off this weekend fine, then last night i went to smoke some stogies with my friends (who were supportive in the beginning) and i just got like verbally assaulted. one of em was like dude we need to turn our lives around, stop sellin and smoking all the time, we need to get back on track. then he blind sides me with a comment about how i should take out my dreads!!! As if my hair has anything to do with the mistakes ive made!!! wtf! then another of my friends says some bullshit about how im starting to become and look more like a fuckin stoner. We are basically alll stoners but the fact that he would stereotype dreads with drugs pisses me off so much. i went home later on feelin really sick (never smoke Kamels on an empty stomache, they are really strong lol) and my mom is talkin to me, we are just having a friendly conversation, then she just blurts out, u look like a bum. wow..................... my own mom. But today is a different story =D i went to the skate park to do some skating, and i happened upon one of my friends who just got back from florida. He came up all siked and saw my hair and was like *dude!!! u started dreading! thats tight, im gonna grow some to when my hair grows out. Then some people that were there were lookin at my hair and some made comments like dreads are tight. I feel 100 percent better now then i did yesterday wooooooot =D
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
15 years ago
183 posts
I know that feeling... I hated how much effort my waxed dreads took and always kept them hidden then when I did show them off people never had anything good to say. Now I am going a more natural way and I have stopped caring what they look like. I had used a dread to tye back my dreads in a pinch today and my mother comes up and says "when you do this you have to make sure you make it go down..." my response was short tempered for other stresses but I said " I don't have to make them do anything they are dreads" That was when I realized I am feeling much better about my dreads this time around they will do what they do no matter what and I am not worried about it anymore! Now if only I could embrace that same feeling on the rest of my chaotic life
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
dreads teach lessons and change lives especialy natural the effects are more profound your life will simplify as you yourself do as wellin fact i can see ya livin in the woods in a tipi in 5 years Izzy-licious said:
I know that feeling... I hated how much effort my waxed dreads took and always kept them hidden then when I did show them off people never had anything good to say. Now I am going a more natural way and I have stopped caring what they look like. I had used a dread to tye back my dreads in a pinch today and my mother comes up and says "when you do this you have to make sure you make it go down..." my response was short tempered for other stresses but I said " I don't have to make them do anything they are dreads" That was when I realized I am feeling much better about my dreads this time around they will do what they do no matter what and I am not worried about it anymore! Now if only I could embrace that same feeling on the rest of my chaotic life

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
IllumiKnotty
@illumiknotty
14 years ago
212 posts
also if i may add, newly locked hair will un-dread after a wash, its typical. but it will dread back up again, its a natural cycle.
Pamella
@pamella
14 years ago
31 posts
Everything has it's time/place..you will get there..:) The neglect path is what I chose and it is so much easier and loving for me than using all the wax/dread kit stuff.. :) It'll take mor time, but I believe you'll be happier with the results...they will feel like little friends for you :) I have some from last year..and now I am letting the rest of my head lock up naturally..Just love them! Izzy-licious said:
Pamella
@pamella
14 years ago
31 posts
Surround yourself with those who are supportive of your vision, hun :) Blessings~ Blonde Dready said:
haha most of the freak out things sound like me. lol i started off this weekend fine, then last night i went to smoke some stogies with my friends (who were supportive in the beginning) and i just got like verbally assaulted. one of em was like dude we need to turn our lives around, stop sellin and smoking all the time, we need to get back on track. then he blind sides me with a comment about how i should take out my dreads!!! As if my hair has anything to do with the mistakes ive made!!! wtf! then another of my friends says some bullshit about how im starting to become and look more like a fuckin stoner. We are basically alll stoners but the fact that he would stereotype dreads with drugs pisses me off so much. i went home later on feelin really sick (never smoke Kamels on an empty stomache, they are really strong lol) and my mom is talkin to me, we are just having a friendly conversation, then she just blurts out, u look like a bum. wow..................... my own mom. But today is a different story =D i went to the skate park to do some skating, and i happened upon one of my friends who just got back from florida. He came up all siked and saw my hair and was like *dude!!! u started dreading! thats tight, im gonna grow some to when my hair grows out. Then some people that were there were lookin at my hair and some made comments like dreads are tight. I feel 100 percent better now then i did yesterday wooooooot =D
Pamella
@pamella
14 years ago
31 posts
I LOVE your locks..Beautiful :) heidi may said:
great advice! i've had my dreads for four months now, and i still find myself being impatient with them. i know from talking to other dreadies that it takes up to a year for them to finally mature, and that mine are actually looking pretty good for the time i've had them...but sometimes it's hard to be patient.

but i'm glad they don't happen right away. the journey is better. i love how everytime i wash my hair something looks different. but i've just decided to let them do their thing and not to fuss...and my dreading adventure is so much happier!
PoopiePants
@poopiepants
14 years ago
81 posts
Over the last week I'm really starting to understand this to be very true!! As some of you already know I'm neglecting my mop too. I was getting quite an undercoat of knots, and decided to try Sunlight Dish-soap(then Sea Salt soak) instead of what I was normally using to wash it. Right afterward some knots were still there, and I noticed a TINY matt of hair. When I woke up the next morning, my lid looked like It did before I started using sea salt. A few days later I had a couple more knots started, and then ended up washing my hair again like I was before, and same thing. Still there afterwards, but when waking up the next day all gone again. I fully expected it this time though. Now today, a few days later I've got like 6 or 7 starting. They're pretty tiny, but I'm sure at this rate they'll congo & get bigger. I'm so glad I'm going this route over any other method. My head isn't even very messy(although I like when it is). I feel so much better earning dreads over manufacturing them. I TnR'd many years ago & just hated them so I took out. They looked OK for what they were, but I felt like I was cheating & felt guilty! I'm not really sure why I felt like that, but I felt the same way after backcombing a while ago. I don't have anything close to that feeling now. In fact quite the opposite. I'm already so conditioned to neglect with no results that anything even resembling a knot just makes me feel positive. IllumiKnotty said:
also if i may add, newly locked hair will un-dread after a wash, its typical. but it will dread back up again, its a natural cycle.
Jay Bluest
@jay-bluest
14 years ago
1 posts
[ first of all sorry for my typing, english not my first language]I guess everyone of u thinks that the best way just to leave dreads the way they areand not to try fix them daily or weekly.I have rare hair and thin so i was having troubleto figure out daily what to do with them and also i washed them everyday.So i decided to get dreadlocks [ i always wanted them since 13]Finaly i have my dread for like 5 or 6 months. They still short and its not so many of them on my head like everyone else have a nice 'bush of dreads' but im happy with it and if imnot gonna fix them weekly i mean roots and when they look fuzzy i think my hair just gonna grow from roots and after a year i will have dreads just at the ends of my hair and the rest of it will look normal, well this is just how i think, so im not sure should i just leave them to be on their own or should i keep taking care of them??
 / 20

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form