Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Combining shampoos

Jack Williams
@jack-williams
13 years ago
6 posts

Hi, I've been using Dreadhead HQ Shampoo as i find that its the only shampoo that keeps my locks tight.

However i think it has started to irritate my scalp as im starting to get some dandruff, I've heard that tea tree oil is good for that so bought some Dr Bronners Liquid Soap with tea tree.

Anybody got any idea what the effect would be if i mixxed the 2 shampoos together?

Or maybe alternate the shampoos?

Any help would be great and if theres any other products out there that i havent heard about then id definatly give them a go :)

Cheers guys!

updated by @jack-williams: 02/14/15 06:17:59AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

stop using dhhq all together shampoo dont keep your dreads tight

in fact stop using soaps use the baking soda deep clean with teattee and rosemary

i would never use anything from dhhq

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lex
@lex
13 years ago
217 posts
don't mix them but alternating them would be fine. may as well use up what you have.
lisasimpson
@lisasimpson
13 years ago
19 posts

Is it winter where you are? Your head tends to produce less oils in the colder weather so you don't need to wash as often. I was starting to get flaky after never having dandruff in my life! I was washing with either warm water with a cool water rinse, or diluted Dr Bronners. I started doing the baking soda/oils and apple cider vinegar rinses (plus a good warm water rinse followed by a cool water rinse) and my scalp does not itch and its actually (slowly) working away the flakes that formed. I was hesitant to try the bs/acv rinses at first, but now that I have done it I am so thankful.

I do encourage you to try it two or three times and see if it doesn't help!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dhhq causes dandruff thats a common complaint

its all chemical garbage

bronners u can drink its so pure

baking soda and acv literaky are foood

bs cleans way way way better

umm am i corect in thinking dhhq soap has wax in it just the microwhatever wax.. but thats why it seems tighter they sneak wax itn no matter how u try to avoid it lol or was uit the butta thats waxy

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jack Williams
@jack-williams
13 years ago
6 posts
dont mean to be rude man but the dhhq stuff has tightened my dreadsiv been using it for good 6 months now and i cut my dreads shorter the other day, meaning i got a look right inside the dreads and theres no build up at alli had a try with the bicarb and vinegar and all that as instructed on hereand if im honest i didnt really notice any difference from the normal stuff i useexcept that it took a lot longer to do and my mum asked me what i was trying to cook haha@Lex - Is there any reason in particular why i should avoid mixing them?Thanks for all the fast feedback guys :)
GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
13 years ago
155 posts

whats probly happening is your getting dandruff from the cold weather, and your using this Dread head HQ that probly leaves a wax residue like commercial shampoos, and thats whats keeping your baby dreads together. Dreadlocks have a tendency to get loose and tighten up get loose tighten up I wouldn't worry to much. I hope you didnt use dread head wax and rubber bands either. if you did take the rubber bands out and theres a thread some where on to get the wax out, but no one ever gets every lil gunk of wax.

I would throw your shampoo in trash and use some bronners baking soda and acv, essential oils.

dont listen to corporations they are just trying to sell you some bullshit lies.

Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
13 years ago
120 posts
Alternating between shampoos is how I've always done it. And yea I've always felt that DHHQ does have a tightening effect, and SE no, luckily enough they didn't sneak any microcrystalline wax in there that was one of my first concerns when I broke out my old bottle for my second (the one I'm on now) set of dreads. Anyway yea your experience with it is similar to mine, I would just use your Dr. Bronners when you feel your scalp needs treatment and otherwise use the dread head soap.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
I have heard that alternating your shampoos keeps them working best. I know for some people the DHHQ can be very drying(hence the tightening maybe??) so possibly it hasn't effected you until now cause it's winter? Whatever shampoo works best for you is what matters, everybody is different, ya just gotta play around with it a little. :o)
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts
The placebo effect is a strange thing...lol.I alternate between the baking soda and the bar soap from Mayleen. No problems here.I always do a cold rinse at the end though, and that gets my hair a bit knottier because the cold shrinks the pores and stuff.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form