Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Is this "maintenance" alright?

Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts

So, I got a little tired of having some of my dreadlocks having that "webbing" of hair on the scalp connecting them. I think it was hindering the process of having them lock up, and preventing them from taking in other loose hairs that should go into that dread. So I slowly worked my way from the root up, separating each hair from the other dread. I actually got so much hair, I TnR'd it into a very thin dread lol.

Also, I had some loose hairs at the bottom of my neck that I TnR'd together because they weren't really locking up at all, and they sort of clumped together like they were trying to dread anyway.

Do you think I should have done anything different, or do anything else? I'm a firm believer in not doing anything, but I also do NOT want painful sectioning because a group of hair has dreaded into one that's across the scalp lol. I'm assuming it's best to sort all that out now, around 4-5 months, instead of in a year.

updated by @brandon-arnold: 01/13/15 08:55:38PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
u should seperate em often the 1st year at least weekly the tnr wasnt nesacary they would dread when ready to but the seperation is the only recomended maintenance

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts
I mean, I separate all of them daily. But I guess some just formed that webbing of hair and now it won't go away.Yeah, I know it wasn't necessary. I didn't do it to all the loose hairs, just the ones that were able to form enough of a dread. I know they'll un-do themselves, but I'm hoping it'll kind of roughen them up and get sucked in to other dreads more quickly
Rockerbaby
@rockerbaby
13 years ago
27 posts

Don't brush it! It's really very easy to feel with your fingers where to start separating if you just keep calm and don't get frustrated. I never kept up with separating on my last set and combed them out because of the frustration and I immediately regretted it.

If you can't easily tell where everything goes, enlist the help of a patient friend to tell you which hair should go into what dread. Then start separating from the root downwards towards the tips. It's really so much easier to get every hair that way. I always thought that ripping from the tip upwards was like a massive twist and rip and made the criss crossing hairs worse. You're inevitably going to cause some loose hair by doing it like this, but if you just keep on top of things, pretty soon the loose hair will join.

K. Moonheart said:

I'm having a problem with "webbing" as you call it! There seems to be a huge area in the back that is all webbed up, i'm not sure if i should brush that area out.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i've always ripped tip to root but then i feel for any close to tyhe scalp still connected and do those by wiggling a finger under and pulling out

but when i have over an inch connected tip to root rips em apart easy tghen just gotta do last few hairs the other way

Rockerbaby said:

Don't brush it! It's really very easy to feel with your fingers where to start separating if you just keep calm and don't get frustrated. I never kept up with separating on my last set and combed them out because of the frustration and I immediately regretted it.

If you can't easily tell where everything goes, enlist the help of a patient friend to tell you which hair should go into what dread. Then start separating from the root downwards towards the tips. It's really so much easier to get every hair that way. I always thought that ripping from the tip upwards was like a massive twist and rip and made the criss crossing hairs worse. You're inevitably going to cause some loose hair by doing it like this, but if you just keep on top of things, pretty soon the loose hair will join.

K. Moonheart said:

I'm having a problem with "webbing" as you call it! There seems to be a huge area in the back that is all webbed up, i'm not sure if i should brush that area out.

--
meg ☮
@meg
13 years ago
92 posts
Brandon, I don't think you did anything wrong (I did the same thing, in fact!). It really helped me keep my sanity and not get overly frustrated with my hair.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
nah just meant its not nesacary i have too if hairs blow un my eyes and drive me nuts only on long road trips otherwise i let em dread on theyre own

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form