Does it really matter what kind of shampoo you use
updated by @colin2: 01/13/15 08:55:27PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yes ofcourse bei g that your black it matters less for you

you can use some conditioning however u still weant no residies and buildup

if yoiur nowt black conditioners are a disaster untill theyre mature and u stuill want no residues

either way your best using a non residue non conditioning shampoo then if need be ise jojoba or somethingt to condition.

you can get away with using non dread freundly soaps but u will get builddiup u might have slow even reversed progress

u might even get dread rot

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
13 years ago
362 posts
Having used a wide range of common commercial shampoos (head and shoulders, herbal essences, suave, ect) I'm going to have to say no. Granted, I know little to nothing about african american hair, but in everything that I've done to my dreads, I've seen no excess build up or any harm to my dreads caused by a commercial shampoo (even after splitting a few, I've seen no flaky shampoo residue or gunk inside my dreads). Please also note that I typically rinse with apple cider vinegar regardless of what product I used to wash with.
Colin2
@colin2
13 years ago
81 posts
Alright thanks to every one ....y'all got some really nice dreads

Knottysleeves said:
I agree with Faelwynn. The residue issue is way overhyped, in my opinion. As long as you're not using a shampoo with silicones & other conditioners in it (unless you specifically need conditioning for your hair type), your hair will dread just fine. If you're really worried about residue/build-up, just do a baking soda & ACV wash every couple of months.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

the vinager does strip residues

we have had at least 1 person get dread rot after being hospitolised and forced to use residue laden shampoos

ive used alotta regular shampoos too

it isnt devastating but it does make a difference my dreads feel way lighter now that i use baking soda acv

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
supp
@supp
13 years ago
81 posts
Your not supposed to use BS& ACV everytime you wash your hair?

Knottysleeves said:
I agree with Faelwynn. The residue issue is way overhyped, in my opinion. As long as you're not using a shampoo with silicones & other conditioners in it (unless you specifically need conditioning for your hair type), your hair will dread just fine. If you're really worried about residue/build-up, just do a baking soda & ACV wash every couple of months.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form