Dreadlocks Forums

Introductions and a BUNCH of questions.

gcuezy
@gcuezy
13 years ago
21 posts
My plan is currently to:

- Wash with one of the baking soda/oil solutions for at least a week

- Section my hair in a brick pattern (I'm thinking 40 dreads or so?)

- GENTLY comb the roots a little, then twist-n-rip

- Take the bands off within 24 hours

- Neglect until I have dreads

Onto the questions:
1. Is there anything intrinsically wrong with the plan I laid out above?

2. Can someone provide a list or links to a good baking soda/oil wash?

3. Is palm rolling and rubbing the tips really useless?

4. As far as supplies I plan to get, would it be a good start to have: Baking soda, teatree oil, wool tam, pure aloe vera gel (it's sold bottled at the local natural pharmacy - I think it's just water and aloe vera)?

5. Does the baking soda wash make you stink like baking soda for an extended time? Also what are some good fragrances that can be used on baby dreads?

6. In the pictures attached, does my hair seem to be inclined to do well with my approach above? -- I know this is sort of subjective but I used no hair products in the first two pictures. My hair is naturally very curly and nappy (big curls - I actually accidentally got a baby dread forming from not brushing for a while when I wasn't planning to :) )

7. In my last picture I show a hat I wear often, I'm not sure what it's made of but it seems like cotton. Is wool way better than cotton for forming or is there not a huge difference?

I know that's a huge first post and probably 1% of you will actually read it but thanks for all your help so far.

-GQZ

updated by @gcuezy: 01/13/15 08:55:11PM
gcuezy
@gcuezy
13 years ago
21 posts
Seems since I tried to post this a few times (Chrome issues) I repeated myself in the questions section.... disregard, thanks!
Denise ∞
@denise
13 years ago
83 posts

I wouldn't say it's wrong, but in my opinion dreads look better when not sectioned in even, square sections. Random sectioning gives a more natural look.

I think it is.

5. Does the baking soda wash make you stink like baking soda for an extended time?

Definitely not.

7. In my last picture I show a hat I wear often, I'm not sure what it's made of but it seems like cotton. Is wool way better than cotton for forming or is there not a huge difference?

Wool is better.

gcuezy
@gcuezy
13 years ago
21 posts

Thanks a lot! I'm still undecided about the sectioning, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to 'eye it well' for the TnR and have a bunch of little dreads and some big fat ones.

I'm curious what people think of adding Dr Bronners to the 'shampoo' mix as well.

Denise said:

I wouldn't say it's wrong, but in my opinion dreads look better when not sectioned in even, square sections. Random sectioning gives a more natural look.

I think it is.

5. Does the baking soda wash make you stink like baking soda for an extended time?

Definitely not.

Wool is better.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

try firefox but were betatesting a new system so report any bugs u see with chrome

screenshots of bugs help too

ok on to the questions and i did read every word

wait b4 the questions the ugly stage as u put it is a beautiful organic stage

all dreads go through an awkward messy period and yiu shouldnt think of it as a ugly stage since your hair already seems to be bith wanting to dread and ina meessy predread state already so a few weeks or a month or so could have u well dreaded

ok questions

1 nothing wrong except id recomend a more natural sectioning you can either go 2 weeks not combing and alow it to section itself only splitting any too large ir section randomly between pencil and thub or larger size (none really bogger then say 2 fingers width) this will give a more natural blended look then the checkerboard ridgidity of even sectioningf.

2 theres sooo many links to the baking soda wash including a group of baking soda wash fans but 1-2 tablespoons per cup waterr couple to few dropss teatree rosemery pepermint lavender (all optional use what u need to fit conditions dandruff etc) pour over head soak 10 min rinse well mix same ammount of apple cider or white vinager and water (u can add oils to this too) poure on for baby dreads rince soon (imediate otr 30 sec)_ for mature dreads soak 3 min then rinse.

3 palm rolling does noything if your not compressing hair into wax tip rubbing well eventualy it might riund the tips with alotta frayed ends and rounding the tips makes then dry way way slower

4 aloes not needed at all but if u do get it make sure theres nothing but aloe in it

5 baking soda smells like nothing really but the vinager smells like vinager for about 1 minute after u rinse i nevrr smell anything lingering if u wanna smell amazing in the dread shops link theres a shampoo called matlees garden use that on scalp only after the bs and u will smell like heavfgen

6 in the pic i would say go natural all the way! or at least try a month and see i think it would dread great naturally

7 a hart will compress dreads so it will do that but wool creates static movement and encourages knotting.

8 the unasked questions add sea salt to the baking soda (pinch per cup tablespoon per spray bottle or 2 tablespoonsd per gallon) or spray on an hour or 2 b4 u wash

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i aded bronners e=very once in awhile

and they look wat better when they asre a mix of sizes

like heres mine in a pile

nitice theyre all diferent sizes (theyre natural) the thinnest is (or was) the thickness on the letter l on the screen thickest about an inch

this is how they look

so u see the blended look of all diferent sizes just looks fuller more real

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
gcuezy
@gcuezy
13 years ago
21 posts

Thanks everyone...

@Ziggy - I was referring to hat making materials not the root wrapping (although thanks for the tip on rubber bands). So is Acryllic, Wool, or Cotton best(anyone)?

@SE - Your dreads are amazing, I don't plan to let them get that long myself but they're inspiring.

So here's what confuses me about just doing straight neglect. How do you get 'real' sections? It seems like it all just forms together and you have to keep ripping it apart. For example, when I accidentally neglect the whole bottom of the back of my head starts to knot together and I just run my fingers through it until it's moderately loose. Is this a good way to start seperation, or should I let it all start knotting and then making seperations manually after it's knotted? Seems weird.

Neglect seemed super scary to me until I realized that I've been basically doing it already just with bad conditioners/soaps and brushing 1-2 times a month... I think I may go with this method.

Also @SE I didn't mean I thought the stage was ugly, but I was referring to societal assumptions and what I think my wife's views would be... I think it's awesome. I have to be in business situations so I want the Aloe to be able to 'fix myself up' occasionally. I'll probably wear a tam most of the time anyway.

RootsRasta
@rootsrasta
13 years ago
64 posts

Loosely backcomb will do nothing really, personally i would do the job properly, backcomb to make tight clumps of hair, or go completley neglet,

I liked the beenies [its acrylic here in the uk] However i now use a crotchet wool tam.

No one has mentioned sea salt spray!! the best thing i have dsicovered for dreads :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form