Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What do you wash with?

Patricia Fox
@patricia-fox
13 years ago
42 posts
So what is everyone washing their dreads with? Also what have you used before and why is what you are using now your favorite?
updated by @patricia-fox: 02/14/15 07:42:47AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
i used bronners for many years tried the knotty boy bar..once (used the bar never bought another)now i use only baking soda acv and herbs sometimes follows by the maylees barwhy..all along i had the worse scalp issues u can imagine..bloody chunks comming off flakes from hell constant itch the baking soda mix ended all a scalp probs stopped all itch and flakesi feel cleaner then i ever dreammedi dont even use soap on my body usualy any more just the baking soda and all my dry skins gone

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
well, i've tried prell, dr. bronner's (bar and liquid), bs/acv and maylees all of which left waxy or grease residue in my hair. i've also tried lush shampoo bars but i hate all the little pieces of crap it leaves in my hair. right now i'm using fantasia ic 100% pure tea shampoo. works really good at cleaning my hair and scalp. i found it on amazon. i want to try desert essence lemon tea tree organic shampoo. it gets really good reviews online. i'm still in search of something that cleans well, rinses away and doesn't leave my hair soft. my hair is soft enough.
Patricia Fox
@patricia-fox
13 years ago
42 posts
Okay everyone I am new to dreads so give me the vocabulary okay...what is a acv wash?
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
acv is apple cider vinegar. you use it with water to rinse your hair with after you've done the baking soda wash. it restores the ph balance to your hair. personally it makes my hair super soft. i'm trying to stay far away from anything conditioning.

Patricia Fox said:
Okay everyone I am new to dreads so give me the vocabulary okay...what is a acv wash?
Zephyr Elf
@zephyr-elf
13 years ago
7 posts
I just use a Lush shampoo bar every month or so- when I redye my regrowth + reblue my hair. Their 'Squeaky Clean' bar is amazing- and vegan! :D
fluffyBren
@fluffybren
13 years ago
2 posts

wait...

how does the baking soda thing work?

cause i really need that. Itching is killing me as I type. I dont anna go out in fear i will scratch and look dirty.

And dry scalp. Mine actually scabed in one spot it was so obscenely dry:(

please help with any quick easy simple cleaning product. Really, dreads are meant to be easy.

and they celebrate their one year birthday tomorrow:) lets eat cake! Man how they have grown. so stoked for the next year!

amanda6
@amanda6
13 years ago
4 posts

I like baking soda! I just put some in the bottom of a plastic cup (about 1/4 a cup) and add enough water so that it is pastey but not super diluted. Scrub my scalp with that in between the dreads and then it rinses clean away. I try not to get it on my face because it's winter and it makes my face skin pretty dry, but my scalp loves it and I always feel very clean. Like Heather, Apple Cider Vinegar makes my hair too soft, so I don't rinse with it every week, but when I do I dilute a tablespoon or so in about two cups of water and just try to rinse the scalp.

I also bought Tea Tree Therapy Shampoo, it says it is all natural and leaves no residue. I sometimes use this only on my brushable bangs in front when they are oily and I don't want to wash my whole head. It makes my hair very soft and smell good, but normally if I'm just taking a quick mornign shower, all I use is hot water and no suds.

amanda6
@amanda6
13 years ago
4 posts
Just buy a box of arm n hammer and sprinkle some in a cup to take with you into the shower. Your head will be so glad you did.

fluffyBren said:

wait...

how does the baking soda thing work?

cause i really need that. Itching is killing me as I type. I dont anna go out in fear i will scratch and look dirty.

And dry scalp. Mine actually scabed in one spot it was so obscenely dry:(

please help with any quick easy simple cleaning product. Really, dreads are meant to be easy.

and they celebrate their one year birthday tomorrow:) lets eat cake! Man how they have grown. so stoked for the next year!

David E Glazai
@david-e-glazai
13 years ago
23 posts
ACV does it for me
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form