Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Giving up shampoo

diskydoer400
@diskydoer400
13 years ago
11 posts

I'm just curious to know if giving up shampoo and other chemicals will have an effect on my rooting process or effect the growth of hair. It seems that my hair feels better when i don't use chemicals and my natural oils take over. I'm sitting here typing with half my hair rooted:) my fiance couldn't finish last night. P.S. i call dreads roots. I'm just not the typical spiritually driven person and i don't listen to to much reggae so i don't feel like i should use the lingo and older names for roots sound to silly.

updated by @diskydoer400: 01/13/15 08:53:36PM
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

Some shampoos are moisturizing and can make hair too slippery to knot up. Some leave a lot of residue behind. BS (baking soda) and ACV (apple cider vinegar) is often used instead of shampoo. There is a whole section on how to do that here on this site.

lol It is your hair...you can call your dreads anything you want to even play doh if it makes you happy :) but you might cause a little confusion by calling dreads "roots" because the roots are the section of a dread that connects the hair to the scalp. The first inch or so of a dread is it's root. So when you say roots..we are gonna think you are speaking of that section of your dread.

Congratz on your baby dreads!

meg ☮
@meg
13 years ago
92 posts
Well, it depends on what you mean. A lot of people here don't use shampoo in the typical sense; they use baking soda. Do you mean giving up shampoo by not washing? If so, I'd encourage you to keep your hair clean! Clean hair will knot up a lot easier than oily hair.
diskydoer400
@diskydoer400
13 years ago
11 posts

I meant store bought shampoos but i used the bs acv mix a few months ago and it did good. I stopped for some reason.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

rooted is 1 of the new names for interlocking since root flipping and interlocking got to be well known dangerss so they now (some) use rooting or looping instead

dreads dreadlocks locs whatever have beenaeround since man been around the term maybe bnewer but that dont change the meanning

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form