Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

peyote sleeves :)

jessica acosta
@jessica-acosta
13 years ago
37 posts
i was thinking about making my own peyote sleeves. any pointers or tips? i.e. what would i need or any cool patterns? thanks! :)
updated by @jessica-acosta: 01/13/15 08:53:33PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
knottysleeves is out expert at that its fairly eassy except the patterns and stuff but it is time consuming detailed work

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
jessica acosta
@jessica-acosta
13 years ago
37 posts
Thank you! I'm pretty excited about getting started and have been trying to find some sort of hobby. I'm sure i'll probably just start with some easy stuff first to get the hang of it like you said :) it seems like you're pretty passionate about it! it's refreshing to come across passionate people :)

Knottysleeves said:

Hey Jessica! Peyote stitch is really easy to learn, it just takes some practice. Google "peyote stitch tutorial" and you'll find all kinds of great instructions.

You'll probably want to start off with really simple patterns at first -- like stripes or diagonal bands. It will help you get used to the technique, because you can see how the beads are spaced out.

You can find some free starter patterns on the net, just google around. Or check your library for beading books. Or you can make your own (I design all my own patterns, it's half the fun!) but if you decide to use/copy a pattern or design that doesn't specifically say "free use" then it's good karma to contact the designer and ask to use it. Bead artists get pretty upset when our work is copied, because designing patterns takes a lot of work. :-) Good luck!

meg ☮
@meg
13 years ago
92 posts

I got started making peyote stitches with the help of knottysleeves. It's awesome that you want to start! It's a lot of fun.

I was lucky enough that my mother had inherited a bunch of beads and supplies from a woman who did a lot of beading, so I had everything I already needed at my disposal, including books. I looked through the books, and looked on YouTube for tutorials on the basics (I'm a visual learner; books aren't always the greatest teachers for me) and I refused to stop until I had it right, no matter how messy my first sleeves turned out (the first one was very messy!)

When it comes to making designs, I just mix a couple of colours and alternate them, or use them at random, or just use one colour entirely. I'm only just starting to figure out how to make stripes.

Macrina
@macrina
13 years ago
41 posts
Knotty's are awesome and inspired me to try my own. I found a tutorial online that worked pretty well. I am working on my firstdesign...done it over three times so far, can't get it quite right. :) But I have the stripes down now, no problem, my rows line up vs. beingstrangered though...not sure what that's all about.
jessica acosta
@jessica-acosta
13 years ago
37 posts
my first sleeve! I've made three complete so far and even taught some friends how to do it. The only problem i have is that it hurts my neck after a while cuz i'm always looking down at the tiny beads, but other than that i love it!
meg ☮
@meg
13 years ago
92 posts
That's so pretty Jessica! Nice stripes!
jessica acosta
@jessica-acosta
13 years ago
37 posts
Thank you! But i must not have done the last thread tight enough; the one that holds it together, cuz it came apart a few days ago :(
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form