Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A few questions before I dread

Tyler Chidester
@tyler-chidester
13 years ago
1 posts

I really want to start dreading my hair but I have quite a few questions.

First of which would be what method would be the best? I am in middle school so I don't know if the natural method would work and I don't fully understand it. Do you just not use shampoo in your hair or do I have to avoid washing it all together?

Next my hair is straight, thick, and needs to be brushed a few times a day or it gets tangly and knotty. Other than being straight is that ideal for dreads?

Finally, my hair is a little shorter in the back (around 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 inches). Is that long enough to start or should I wait before I begin my dread journey?

Thanks in advance for the help! I hope this is the correct category for this question. If needed I can put up pictures of my hair at the moment. :)

updated by @tyler-chidester: 01/13/15 08:53:12PM
Vinny
@vinny
13 years ago
82 posts
First of which would be what method would be the best? I am in middle school so I don't know if the natural method would work and I don't fully understand it. Do you just not use shampoo in your hair or do I have to avoid washing it all together?

Natural dreads tend to look very messy before they start to look awesome. If you want to avoid that go for TnR.

You need to wash your hair other wise its going to smell funny. You'll need to find some dread soap.

Next my hair is straight, thick, and needs to be brushed a few times a day or it gets tangly and knotty. Other than being straight is that ideal for dreads?

Yes

Finally, my hair is a little shorter in the back (around 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 inches). Is that long enough to start or should I wait before I begin my dread journey?

Unless you plan on going the natural route, your probably going to want at least 5-6 inches to play with.

Sancho Lopez
@sancho-lopez
13 years ago
28 posts

start by growing some more hair, then do the twist and rip (T&R) method. the natural is probably better tho. if youre in middle school and your 'rents dont suck, do it. i should have done it in middle school. use this site and navigate the forums to search for any question you have. if you have a question, the answer is posted on this site somewhere. spend the time to research and be patient while that hair grows. i did my locks with 6-7" of hair. i think it was a good length to work with,

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ok 1 u got perfect hair for dreading natuerally but you got terrible info too

1 u wash it but gently and with no residues

or conditioners then u just let it dread (like it tries to do all day long)

seperate them into distinct dreads if they join together

u could have natural dreads fast as hell

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

neglect is basically throwing the comb and brush away. Hair will naturally knot up and form dreads on it's own if not brushed or combed. It is the healthiest way to dread. All you have to do is pull the sections apart to keep it from being one big knot.

Back combing and twist and rip methods work well. But remember to be gentle if you use one of these methods.

with you having to brush your hair a couple of times a day..it sounds like your hair is begging to be dreaded.

Dreadlocks are not made by letting your hair be nasty and dirty.Oily, dirty hair does not dread easy. You want your hair to be clean. Clean hair makes healthy dreads.You can use shampoo on your hair but nothing that leaves residues.

Read the section on here called dreaducation. It has lots of information that will help you.

Good luck with whatever method you choose.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form