Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

single minded people not understanding my dreads :/

Iggy Smith
@iggy-smith
13 years ago
7 posts

I'm getting a lot of shit at school and stuff because people say my dreads don't look like dreads, and that they just look ridiculous; to be honest, I really don't care what they think, and I certainly won't take it to heart, but I still find it hurtful that people can be so ignorant. my dreads are only babies, just 2 and a half months old (I twist and ripped). I just wish people would understand dreads are more than a hairstyle, but a spiritual quest that I have began to express my individuality and spirituality, and to emphasize my identity. I try to explain that dreads are a magical journey that take a lot of time and patience, but nobody listens and everyone seems to have lost faith except me. So i suppose all i want is a morale boost. I'll never get rid of my dreads because of what someone says, in fact it probably makes me want them more to know that some people don't like them, but i hate the ignorance of single minded people. Does anybody agree with me, or have experienced anything similar?

Thanks for reading =)

Peace and love, Ig

updated by @iggy-smith: 01/13/15 08:53:01PM
Mia Elizabeth
@mia-elizabeth
13 years ago
45 posts

dear lg,

i feel similarly to you. the negative comments can be really hurtful especially when i feel like " are they ever going to look like dreads?"

but i just have to remind myself. these are MY dreads. they look like dreads now because they are mine, no one elses.

Dont feel alone cause you are not by any means.

I was feeling similar to you when i created the video showcasing my dreads now(4 month old dreads-video sections)

check it out

trust when i say no one has faith in them but me and all the wonderful people here.

I have faith in your dreads as much as i do in mine!

Peace & love,

Mia

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
That was beautiful. I completely agree. I haven't had many people make rude comments but I imagine it can be hurtful, especially when you first start dreading up. Just remember the further you get into your journey the less you will be bothered by other peoples negativity and the more grateful you will become for being able to see through those superficial folks who are just not worth your time! Many Blessings
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
people can be mean. Are you still in high school? high school is the worst...everyone thinks you should be a clone. I think it is wonderful that you are confident in yourself and are willing to "express your individuality." The people giving you a hard time have never had dreads. They have no idea what dreads are truely about.When my dreads were babies a friend said to me...."i have seen a lot of nice dreads and your dreads just don't look right". The point is that he had seen dreads but never experienced them. He was comparing my dreads to mature dreads. he moved out west and I had not seen him in a while. he flew in and stayed with me during the holidays. First thing he said to me was "wow, nice dreads."Don't let people at school influence your journey. Rock those dreads! and enjoy the ride!!!!!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

tell them dreads are born from a messy head and if dreads dont look like dreads it means they are doing what thety need to do to become dreads so whats so werong with a messy head?

or just look at them and say yours dont look much like dreads either and laugh

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Iggy Smith
@iggy-smith
13 years ago
7 posts

I just have to say massive thanks to you all ! I'm really glad you understand because before I felt kinda isolated whereas now I feel absolutely brilliant about the magical journey I've chosen to embark upon. I'm really grateful that you all said what you have done and that I'm not alone. I smiled when I read each and every one of your posts and they reassured me to the fullest extent :) Cheers again, Iggy :)

And btw, yeah I am in high school =)

Austin Ashley
@austin-ashley
13 years ago
11 posts
I know what you mean, its a real pain dealing with kids at school who only know salon dreads. I don't sweat it though, because they're gonna have their foot in their mouths when my dreads mature.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
WOW! I wouldn't have guessed you were in HS! You seem able to express yourself in a real and impressive way(unlike a lot of HS kids), You're not following the herd and you should be proud of yourself for that. So take it as a compliment when people at school don't understand your choices. It means you're doing something right! lol!
Fay Brotherhood
@fay-brotherhood
13 years ago
59 posts
At high school, if you do the exact opposite of what they try and tell you to do, you will grow up as a much better, well rounded and compassionate individual. Fact.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form