dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

HELP...dont want to cut...but...

cat
@cat
14 years ago
4 posts

New to this forum...

Ive had my lovelocks for over a year now, but havent been doing much maintenance...I rip them apart when i notice they are joining at the base and getting uncomfortable... i am about to cut them off thinking that they will never be LOW maintenance.

Without twisting or crocheting, how will they lock up or WILL they lock up at the base by themselves? I do notice that they have been locking as my hair has been growing for the past year, but the base 1-2 inches is not locked up, ever! and there are loose hairs all over the place, some of them just sticking out next to a tightened up lock, so i would just like some advice before deciding to cut them, if there is a LOW maintenance way to keep them that will be able to help them lock up at the base and maybe some advice about all of the crazy flying hairs that i feel might never attatch to a lock without crocheting and having to do a ton of upkeep.

Thanks for any input!

peace

cat

updated by @cat: 02/14/15 08:07:02AM
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts

hey there Ive had my locks for almost 2 years in Jan, the roots shoulda locked up by now, but if you have been crocheting alot you are going to make your locks permanently high maintenance.

now you say you are twisting? are you african american (different hair types respond better to different methods) I rarely crocheted, but I started doing something called pinch rolling to keep my fly hairs from making my head look to fuzzy and its been working really well the past few months without having to do much to my hair.

cat
@cat
14 years ago
4 posts

im actually not twisting, crocheting or doing much of anything except washing once every 1-2 weeks and ripping them apart once in a while when they feel like they are getting tangled at the base!

to answer your question, i am not african

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

u never5 ever wabnted to start crocheting thats why they are high mauintenance join the crochet recovery group

u neever gotta do anythiong but seperarte just leave em alone ignore the loose hairs and stop crocheting

dreads take care of themselves if u leave em alone crochet is an extremely bad thing to do to dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

how were they started did u use wax>? if so just get the wax out

they are fine the roots will have some looseness its normal thry get less slowly yours might just be a lil behind is all stop worrying and just enjoy em,

--
cat
@cat
14 years ago
4 posts
i didnt use wax, they were backcombed partially, by that i mean that some of them were, but the rest just kind of...happened from not doing much of anything, which is how i'd like it to be in the future, not doing much of anything except washing once in a while...will they get to the point of not having to rip apart the roots or will that always be an issue? You think the roots will eventually lock up on their own without doing anything to them except letting them be? Thanks! i dont have any clear pics to post, sorry!, but they are pretty long id say ranging from 12-20 inches.

soaringeagle said:

how were they started did u use wax>? if so just get the wax out

they are fine the roots will have some looseness its normal thry get less slowly yours might just be a lil behind is all stop worrying and just enjoy em,

Jeffree Vega.
@jeffree-vega
14 years ago
66 posts
Im confused as to how people are picking up that you've used crocheting when you pointed out that you've done no maintenance apart from separating before the hair congos.There will always be a small amount of loose hair at the roots, but it will dread as it grows and slowly become less and less. Flyaway hairs are also common, but you notice them more than anyone because you look at them closer. A nifty wee trick to tame them is to take a towel and lightly rub it over your dreads in a downward motion to smooth them out without harming or breaking any hairs. It helps neaten the look of your dreads if your going out or they are annoying you so much that you want to chop them
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
they wikll dread on theyre own the ripping tho to seperate will get less but u will always need to unless u let em congo like crazy i havent done ant in 3 years but i waited till they were 18 years old to stop and now as many as 6 became 1 all over

--
cat
@cat
14 years ago
4 posts

thanks for the advice! So i suppose time and patience is what is needed then. What about all of the crazy loops and bends and stray hairs stickign out all over, even after a year! Will time really help those as well without any maintenance?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
mostly but those loops lumps and bends arent a problem they just make yoir dreads yours and not boring and fake looking like crocheted dreads learn to love em they add charachter and the hairs sticking out can only bee seen up close! can u see a single hair from across the room? no so ignore em they are invisible to anyone but you

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form