Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My experience with wax (sad story)

Luke Decker
@luke-decker
14 years ago
15 posts
Honesty i was a little skeptical that wax was as bad as you guys made it out to be, because Johnny Clean seems like a nice guy in his videos, but i wanted to join this group because i hate the way wax felt and i don't want to spend money on products and this site says i don't have to.I hope my story helps convince other people that even though they are on this site are somewhat skeptical I had dreads about 6years ago when i was about 16 and i didn't know much about dreads so I just read dreadheadhq.com and followed the instructions and used wax, i thought they all washed out and i was fine. I had to cut my dreads off because the Christian school I was going to did not like them, they looked fine to me and didn't really smell bad.I kept the dreads in a bag just because i love dreads that much and sewed some onto a tam and for a while some people thought i still had dreads and i thought that was cool. I recently got dreads again and i wanted to add some length so i took some of my old dreadlocks and sewed them on a couple dreads(some of you may think i'm strange or dumb but i really needed the extra length to tie my dreads back with my dreads and i need my hair back for work and i hate rubber bands). I thought all the wax was gone but when washing my hair i noticed wax and i took some extensions off and cut down the center and there was wax. I didn't see the wax before because i only cut horizontally. I was really sad cuz i had some great dreads with cool lumps and twists and i had to ruin a bunch cuz i was finding wax in ALL of them. I DIDN'T WAX MUCH AT ALL. I should have washed the extensions before i sewed them onto my hair but i thought i would just wash them with all my other hair. I cut the extension dreads down the center to see the wax and boiled them in hot water and then washed in dish soap 3TIMES!!! before i got wax out, and i think there still might be some wax still in there WAX IS BAD NEWS!!! I could have made a video but it seriously was too painful for me, i just wanted to work on it and get the wax out. I have a couple dread extensions in that had wax but the other extensions are basically clean cuz i boiled them. I wash my hair very well whenever i do wash my hair, which is about 2 times a week just because its very cold right now and i hate having my hair wet. Looking back its good i kept my old dreads otherwise i could have made the same mistake, although i did find your website which has kept me away from wax, but still its good i had something to experiment on and stuff.
updated by @luke-decker: 01/13/15 08:51:10PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
people never believe the truth till they see it themselvesand your right the only way to see is to disect cut them up the middle exposing he entire corepost in the dread wax poll too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
wow good post dude. How often did you wax them, if i may ask? i only waxed twice and it took forever to get wax all the way out and you mentioned you didnt wax much at all. also, do check out rawsum's info about bodysplash. ive seen the demo vids and its awesome
Beksta
@beksta
14 years ago
22 posts
The first thing I thought of when I cut my first set of locks off, was this ad I remember seeing like a billion times on tv when I was little http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZxORpKb8Vw (and I watch it now and it just makes me angry...danged fluoride indoctrination lol)
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts
Hey i have wax in my dreads i think, only in bits of them tho. I ripped a dread in half and the wax was all at the bottem so i just cut the bottem off the dreadlock so see what it looked like and it was MANK! I have a few more like that but i plan on boiling the wax out when they are longer.
Luke Decker
@luke-decker
14 years ago
15 posts
i only waxed like twice a week for the first couple of weeks, then i had a friend with dreads tell me wax was stupid and not necessary (not really that it stayed in there and was nasty) and so i stopped. I saw a hair site for regular hair where they said that wax was hard to get out of, on STRAIGHT hair, of course its gonna stay in dreadlocks. wax is a stupid, stupid idea.
Luke Decker
@luke-decker
14 years ago
15 posts

Someone please give me some advice. I don't ever want to buy from dreadheadhq again because of my experience with wax, but i still have a bottle of shampoo left and i want to use it up, but i want to use something cheaper. I've read that dreadheadhq is bad because it strips too much out of the hair and its okay to have some smell in the hair, but on the other hand you aren't supposed to leave residue. The thing that I'm getting at is, I've used regular shampoo a few times to save on the dreadheadhq shampoo, cuz I want to use it to get rid of the residue from the regular shampoo. The thing is when i was using just the dreadhead shampoo my hair just smelled like hair and i kind of prefer that. The last time i used regular shampoo was about a month ago and it was an ocean mist smell and i can still slightly smell it, even though i used the dreadhead shampoo, baking soda, and recently i used white vinegar cuz i couldn't find any apple cider vinegar. Now it smells a little like vinegar even though i tried the best I could to rinse it out. Is it okay to use regular white vinegar, or is that bad or not as useful as ACV? Any advice? Is it okay to have a slight smell in your hair? I don't want mildew or any bad smells to occur.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

white vinagers fine but my suspicion is the smells are getting trapped in wax and till u remove the wax youir hair will never be clean

Luke Decker said:

Someone please give me some advice. I don't ever want to buy from dreadheadhq again because of my experience with wax, but i still have a bottle of shampoo left and i want to use it up, but i want to use something cheaper. I've read that dreadheadhq is bad because it strips too much out of the hair and its okay to have some smell in the hair, but on the other hand you aren't supposed to leave residue. The thing that I'm getting at is, I've used regular shampoo a few times to save on the dreadheadhq shampoo, cuz I want to use it to get rid of the residue from the regular shampoo. The thing is when i was using just the dreadhead shampoo my hair just smelled like hair and i kind of prefer that. The last time i used regular shampoo was about a month ago and it was an ocean mist smell and i can still slightly smell it, even though i used the dreadhead shampoo, baking soda, and recently i used white vinegar cuz i couldn't find any apple cider vinegar. Now it smells a little like vinegar even though i tried the best I could to rinse it out. Is it okay to use regular white vinegar, or is that bad or not as useful as ACV? Any advice? Is it okay to have a slight smell in your hair? I don't want mildew or any bad smells to occur.

--
Luke Decker
@luke-decker
14 years ago
15 posts

i guess I'll just have to save up and buy some of that bodysplash stuff. it just seems like a lot of money.

rawsum said:

Hi Luke,

did you read here ..

and follow up that with this link ..

if you used wax (even a couple of times) you can assume the wax is still there and it's my guess that is what's causing your concern.. take steps to get rid of the wax .. you can try all the different methods (which I did as well) or you can try the one I found actually rid my dreads of wax .. Bodysplash

be well .. rawsum

Luke Decker said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

no thety dont

\but because they have 1 guy who had 10 year old waxy dreads they claim it never effects the shelf life (i talked to the 1 guy and even tho he deffended wax and dreadheadhq he also insisted u cant use it as recomended or to help create dreads and only use what would smear on a fingertip wiped on the outside and never melted in)

so baxicly cause 1 guy survived that long after barely using it and not as recomended they getto claim it never affected anyone and they claim ppl only cut them because of jobs etc

Pepper LaRoux said:

I've never used wax because it just sounds kinda hokey and it looks terrible. Do the companies that sell the wax ever address issues of the "shelf life" of the locks the wax produces?

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form