Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help my dreads are far away from healthy natural dreads...

Hazzim
@hazzim
14 years ago
18 posts
So i got crochet dreads on February 2010,,, but i thought crochet was good so continuedmaintenance for over...4 or 5 months. i``m trying to recover from it. but have realized thatmy dreads are completely different from what they should be... i have 21 sections so mydreads should be thick but they are thin stiff and longer they should be (forced to "dread").....I think my dreads have to completely change (lenght, width,texture). so i`m trying to finger comb them out... :Sany of you guys know if it`s worth waiting???? or should i just cut em off and start over?????i`ve been thinking on adding hair conditioner... to see if they comb out...
updated by @hazzim: 02/14/15 05:40:53AM
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
I would not cut my dreads. I did not crochet my hair I didn't even know that people would do that until i joined this site. I have never even felt crocheted dreads. So i can't give personal experience on the subject. If they were only a few months old i would suggest to comb them out and start again. Your dreads are around 8 months old. I would try conditioner...it may loosen them up some. I do know that recovery is gonna take some time. I definitely would try to recover before I cut anything.My hair is thin and fine. I only have around 26 mature dreads and new ones popping up. My dreads are not real fat...they are just kinda medium sized.
Earth Child
@earth-child
14 years ago
35 posts
i crochet hooke the shit out of mine and i had the probelm w them beiing like pencil thin lol but i threw mt hook away and just let them be. i did it for about 3 months. and they got fat and softer. id say just give them time and they will be ok. they will get fatter trust me. mine were bad like really bad and they are on thier way to being ok just dont do it ne more lol. make dread balls for loss hair. and i find the more i wsh mine the bigger they get. idk if it really has ne thing to do w it but i wash my hair eveyr 2 days and they got soft and big. i only have like 26 or someting. some of them come and go. be paychent frined :) they will get better
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
then did u crochet im gonnwa spank u..grrrbut yea they will trcovrer better if u give em time to recover (long time) conditioning will help loosen umif u comb out u willlose too much hair (maybe 1/2)so better to just let em go and heal

Emily Str8 said:
i crochet hooke the shit out of mine and i had the probelm w them beiing like pencil thin lol but i threw mt hook away and just let them be. i did it for about 3 months. and they got fat and softer. id say just give them time and they will be ok. they will get fatter trust me. mine were bad like really bad and they are on thier way to being ok just dont do it ne more lol. make dread balls for loss hair. and i find the more i wsh mine the bigger they get. idk if it really has ne thing to do w it but i wash my hair eveyr 2 days and they got soft and big. i only have like 26 or someting. some of them come and go. be paychent frined :) they will get better

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
maybe u should make youtube vids bout why crochet sux

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Hazzim
@hazzim
14 years ago
18 posts
the thing is that i feel cheated ,,, hahaha because i really thought crochet was the right way to go on with dreadlocks............ i`ll just wait and see what happenss.... maybe i can cut my crochet dreads when my natural ones (roots) get longer... i`ve being posting negative comments on"skillteacher"`s youtube vids.... that is were i first found crochet......i think crochet dreads aint dreads at all...... it`s just hair forced together.. :(
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
14 years ago
184 posts

Hazzim said:

i think crochet dreads aint dreads at all...... it`s just hair forced together.. :(
exactly!and some people are ok with it, but it does make them weaker because the hair is literally crocheted together and not locked up tight!Try making some of that conditioner someone posted a recipe with on here....sounded good but I still have baby dreads and can't use it
Earth Child
@earth-child
14 years ago
35 posts

lol spank me then but u gataa come get me :-P and you know i threw my hook away along time ago. they are getting better. almso at 5 moths now
soaringeagle said:
then did u crochet im gonnwa spank u..grrr

but yea they will trcovrer better if u give em time to recover (long time) conditioning will help loosen um
if u comb out u willlose too much hair (maybe 1/2)
so better to just let em go and heal

Emily Str8 said:
Dave2
@dave2
14 years ago
71 posts
how long since you stopped crochet?everyones hair seems to react differently, i've seen pix of people that have maintained for months then stopped and are looking good in 6months while i only maintained for two weeks and its taken around 10 months for me to really notice an improvement.Have you un-blunt your ends i found that to be a HUGE help in allowing them to relax and begin to soften up(it's been a month since i un-blunted and there is heaps of improvement)best of luck mate..
Beksta
@beksta
14 years ago
22 posts
The problem with brushing out locks, even if with fingers, is you are gonna lose a bunch of hair in the process. I have been dreadless for almost 12 months now, waiting for my hair to re-thicken before I re-lock. A lot of hair broke in the brushing-out - my hair is currently a little past my shoulders, but I have a bunch of shorter hairs which are growing out (the ones that broke). There's a considerable difference at the moment, between my past hair thickness and what it is now. I'd brush em out as absolute last resort - try the suggestions of these other folk before doing so lol...cos I can tell you, if you brush em out and go to re-create locks immediately, you're gonna be doing so with a lot less hair to work with.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form