Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

as dreads mature and smooth out, do they get thinner or thicker?

Raegan Belew
@raegan-belew
14 years ago
7 posts
Hiya, I dreaded my hair using the t&r method...I am going for the thin dread look:) My question is this...as of now my new dreads are still frizzy and kind of poofy in places, though still pretty thin. As they knot up, will the thin out even more? I'm hopin' so otherwise I may have to rip a few apart and split em' up. When I sectioned my hair to dread initially, I usually sectioned in approx. 1 in. increments...thanks!
updated by @raegan-belew: 02/14/15 05:34:21AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i inch sections will be about as thick as id ever want1 inch sections will mean 1 inch thick dreadsif u wanted thin dreads u should section about 1/4 inchcount the dreads20-30 thick (under 20 huge) 30-50 average 50-75 thin 75-100 very thin over 100 micro

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Raegan Belew
@raegan-belew
14 years ago
7 posts
Oh ok, so you're talkin sq. inch..at the root right? cuz my hair is super thick at the root and thins out toward the tip...also, when I hold the sectioned strand in my fingers and pinch it tight, it's smaller...so do I measure by the width at the root, or the thickness of the strand when held in my fingers?i inch sections will be about as thick as id ever want
1 inch sections will mean 1 inch thick dreads
if u wanted thin dreads u should section about 1/4 inch
count the dreads
20-30 thick (under 20 huge) 30-50 average 50-75 thin 75-100 very thin over 100 micro
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
the roots determine dread sizewhen the roots an inch but the baby dreads only 1/4 it will thicken up to about an inch when matureid recomend not sectioning the hair yourself stop combing a few weeks and let the hair section itself then use the natural sections as a guide unless u then decide to just keep going growing natural dreads that way u get a blend of thick to thin all naturaly sectioned the way your hair wanted to sectionbut if u want thin sections make the sections dime to pencil sizedalso keep in mind when dreads get long 200 tiny dreads are a pain to keep track of and care for60 is much more reasonableso u might nit want too thini had like a hell of alot and they were crazy all overalso the thin ones started breaking from being stepped on so i let alot grow together for strength

--
Raegan Belew
@raegan-belew
14 years ago
7 posts
perfect, thank you!!!

soaringeagle said:
the roots determine dread size
when the roots an inch but the baby dreads only 1/4 it will thicken up to about an inch when mature

id recomend not sectioning the hair yourself stop combing a few weeks and let the hair section itself then use the natural sections as a guide unless u then decide to just keep going growing natural dreads that way u get a blend of thick to thin all naturaly sectioned the way your hair wanted to section

but if u want thin sections make the sections dime to pencil sized

also keep in mind when dreads get long 200 tiny dreads are a pain to keep track of and care for
60 is much more reasonable
so u might nit want too thin
i had like a hell of alot and they were crazy all over
also the thin ones started breaking from being stepped on so i let alot grow together for strength
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
everyone does 1 inch squares cause thats what dhhq and kb tek u to do so everyone gets same looking dreads all the same size which is as thick as u would want em really everits so much nicer to see natural sectioned blended drreads

Raegan Belew said:
perfect, thank you!!!

soaringeagle said:
the roots determine dread size
when the roots an inch but the baby dreads only 1/4 it will thicken up to about an inch when mature

id recomend not sectioning the hair yourself stop combing a few weeks and let the hair section itself then use the natural sections as a guide unless u then decide to just keep going growing natural dreads that way u get a blend of thick to thin all naturaly sectioned the way your hair wanted to section

but if u want thin sections make the sections dime to pencil sized

also keep in mind when dreads get long 200 tiny dreads are a pain to keep track of and care for
60 is much more reasonable
so u might nit want too thin
i had like a hell of alot and they were crazy all over
also the thin ones started breaking from being stepped on so i let alot grow together for strength

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
are u twwisting or interlocking or palm rolling them into wax?normakl dreads thickeninter;locing twusting crochet and i guess compressing em in wax can make em thinneror i guess if theyre backcombed and really puffy they thin b4 thickenning i guess

Desirae Rose said:
Mine get thinner, which is the opposite of what I want.

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
could also be cause african hair locks up so tightly i guess i have heard others say theyre got thinner toonon african generaly thickens

--
JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
14 years ago
217 posts
my tnr have tripled in thickness since i started. they are 5 months old. i have 60something dreads and undreaded bangs that would make into like 8 dreads. at first i thought they were going to be really thin, but pretty much all are at least pointer finger thickness now!
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
Mine thickened out A LOT. The only ones that didn't I combined to save them in the long run ( didn't wanting the roots to thin out too much and lose a dread or two!). And I've hardly seen any 'smoothing' at all as mine have matured... as a matter of fact, I have a number of dreads that dread up in a zig zag pattern...
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form