Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Drying your Dreads...

Tara D
@tara-d
14 years ago
27 posts
So, living in the lovely UK at this time of year is not great for going outside with wet hair, especially as 'locs tend to take longer to dry than non-knotty hair.I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas as to how to get them to dry out quicker? The only time I can wash them is when I get home in the evening, and then they're still a little damp by the time I go to bed =/Also, whats wrong with using a hairdryer?T =] xx
updated by @tara-d: 02/14/15 06:17:02AM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Don't go to bed with them damp, I have heard too many horror stories about mold. I live in California where it is mostly sunny, but lately it has been a bit colder. I have a very absorbent towel I use...some people here have even said they use chamois or micro -fiber cloths. I then use the blowdryer for a bit to help things out, seems to be fine. I also aim for shampooing early in the day so that I am totally dry before turning in. :D
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
blow dryings fine as long as u dont do it excessivly i blow a few min wait awhile blow again and dry it slowly over several hours that way instead of steady blowing 1/2 hourim actualy buying a shammwow today to try out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
loli got a box of shamwow last year for christmas. I sewed a few together to make it big enough to fit around my hair. When i wash my hair i squeeze out some excess water and then wrap it up in my shamwow for about 10 minutes. I know alot of people who occationally dry their dreads with a blow dryer and it doesn't seem to hurt. I just don't use one because i don't own one lol
O'Callaghan
@ocallaghan
14 years ago
57 posts
lol, lol, lol, just the word "shamwow" makes me crack right up, I can't explain it :D but it sounds perfect for wrapping wet dreads. I live in Canada, so I know how you feel tara lol I squeeze as much excess water out as I can, wrap them up for about 10 or 20 min, and blow dry intermittently like how SE recommends, takes me about an hour tops, total (my hair goes about halfway down my back). And like Panterra says nooo going to bed on damp dreads! Can lead to bad things! Eep!
Shuaib ahmed
@shuaib-ahmed
14 years ago
154 posts
I know its not easy living in the UK with dreads...... your hair is gunna be wet for a bit but i still prefer letting the dreads dry themselves its more natural.....or sit right near a heater xD
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
i know lol...i don't have a tv so i missed the whole sham wow commercial thing. My friend who thought that was hilarious bought me a box. It just sat in my drawer forever..till one day i saw it and said hey i bet this would dry my hair lol and it did.
O'Callaghan
@ocallaghan
14 years ago
57 posts

taye said:
i know lol...i don't have a tv so i missed the whole sham wow commercial thing. My friend who thought that was hilarious bought me a box. It just sat in my drawer forever..till one day i saw it and said hey i bet this would dry my hair lol and it did.
I don't have t.v either, a friend was mimicking the commercial for me, and I laaaughed! I also heard a couple awesome radio soundbytes for it, lolol I should buy some, but I'll be snickering the whole way home :D
Mikey Mikez
@mikey-mikez
14 years ago
90 posts
i dont think its anything wrong with using hairdryer, use it...
eLPea
@elpea
14 years ago
17 posts
Hair dryers can be harsh on thick dreads - the outside will get dry while the inside is wet, and as you keep blowing hot dry air on the already dry hairs it can lead to damage.If you use a hair dryer, aim for a medium-low setting, both on heat & power. Do it gently, and towel dry them as much as you can first.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form