Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

whats up

Levon
@levon
14 years ago
7 posts
im new on the site....i been wantin to dread for a while n i finally have hair length to do so..i have pretty straight hair....whats the best way to get started?????
updated by @levon: 02/14/15 05:33:16AM
Ivan
@ivan
14 years ago
88 posts
natural or twist & rip
Levon
@levon
14 years ago
7 posts
what about washing....i keep hearing ocean water n baking soda...how often on those....i want to get as much info as i possibly can before i begin.
Ivan
@ivan
14 years ago
88 posts
anything and everything you could ever possibly want to know about dreadlocks is on this site bro. EVERYTHING. just hit up the search bar. you'll love this site.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
whenever u want 2-3 times a weeks best the sea salt well weekly is fine u dont need to do it at all but it helps

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Levon
@levon
14 years ago
7 posts
thanx my brothas i will do more research on here if i have anymore questions ill messege either one of ya
Levon
@levon
14 years ago
7 posts
whats the twist n rip? how does that process work?? and i've got straight hair that curls in some places so i dk what youd call that....but i want the natural look....my biggest concern is when the dreads start locking that while my hair grows it will keep whats locked there and grows into the dreads as my hair gets longer....and do you start with the salt water and or bakin soda before you have the dreads to get your hair the right texture so the dreads willl form or do you wait till the dreads r starting and just use those as a method of cleaning? i want to b as natural as possible...ill buy certain soaps or oils if needed...but as i said i want to go natural...this is a personal experience for me n i want to do it right...thank you my friends for your advice its greatly appreciated...*love*
Jessica Arnold
@jessica-arnold
14 years ago
17 posts
Hey Levon welcome to the site man. Love to see new members become apart of this awesome community :) Before you start your dreads..if you use any conditioner or products in your hair you should stop using them. Also, you can wash your hair with baking soda and other recipes that we have provided here to get your scalp used to not washing so often. (I wash mine about twice a week, once with regular shampoo/trader joes bar soap and once with shampoo/water and baking soda) Also, another helpful supply to grab before starting your locks is a pick comb. Like this one. http://www.buy.com/prod/hot-waves-pick-comb-hand-model-no-0661eb/q/sellerid/26807664/loc/67984/216002993.html Its important to find one that isn't too sharp so you don't cut yourself or damage anything. It'll really help to help with scalp stimulation to help create new hair and help with occasional itchiness. I usually use mine every day.If you want natural dreadlocks, I recommend twist & rip method and minor backcombing. <== Be careful if you decide to backcomb, make sure if you do them or have someone help you that they're not moving the comb back and forth on your hair, just upward to your roots. Otherwise you could end up ripping out a lot of hair and white roots that can show on your dreads unless you dye them. I have realllllly straight wispy hair that won't even hold a curl, and I used this method. I like it because its not too messy, or too groomed looking. Even during the first month some dreads decided to join with others and do their own thing.Hope your excited about your dread journey! If you need any more tips or have any more questions send me a message or anyone on here and we would all be happy to help as much as possible :D Peace&Love man. :)

Levon said:
whats the twist n rip? how does that process work?? and i've got straight hair that curls in some places so i dk what youd call that....but i want the natural look....my biggest concern is when the dreads start locking that while my hair grows it will keep whats locked there and grows into the dreads as my hair gets longer....and do you start with the salt water and or bakin soda before you have the dreads to get your hair the right texture so the dreads willl form or do you wait till the dreads r starting and just use those as a method of cleaning? i want to b as natural as possible...ill buy certain soaps or oils if needed...but as i said i want to go natural...this is a personal experience for me n i want to do it right...thank you my friends for your advice its greatly appreciated...*love*
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
The best way to get started is:A) Wash your hair on a regular basis. Toss the conditioner you may not need it for at least a year. Most people with dreadlocks wash their hair at least two or three times a week.B) Simply stop brushing/combing your hairIn time your hair will form sections on it's own and gradually begin to form matted knots.When you begin to notice matted sections forming start pulling them away from each other unless you want "Congos"
Levon
@levon
14 years ago
7 posts
thank you all my friends i will take all your advice and things i have gathered..alot of what i hear it fairly consistant so i feel im heading in the right direction...when possible i will share pics of progress and get tips and feedback from everyone....i find this site very informative and eveyone i've had a convo. with has been really cool and helpful...so again thank you if anyone wants hit me up im always down for talking to interesting people. *love*
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form