Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Please help

Alicia
@alicia
14 years ago
68 posts
Hey guys..I really don't see how this could be normal and alot of people are saying my hair doesn't look right and is "crazy"..and I agree. It looks like a rats nest. All of the locks in the back have shrunk so much..probably lost atleast 50% of length..but the ones on the sides in front are still long and hardly knotted up. The ones in back are not only short, but also fat, twisty, and bulky. They are not thin and straight like they were before and since they are so twisty my hair looks puffy, curly, and just all around terrible. They look folded up into themselves and alot of the dreads are unknotted at top, huge knot ball in middle, not knotted on bottom.Will they ever lay back the way they should? Lie straight down and lose some of their crazy kinks and folds? Should I comb them out and start over? Does anyone have any pictures of their own dreads like this? Any advice would help. I knew from the start they would get nuts..and I don't need them to be perfect..but I would like to atleast know that they will eventually look decent. Other people on here who started their dreads at the same time as I did don't seem to be having this issue .Thanks guys :)
updated by @alicia: 01/13/15 08:48:29PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
they look amazing and what you seeing is the back dreading faster cause u sleep on the back thatts allwear a tam more or at night to redistribute the pressure so ther rest catchews upthe backs 3/4 the watyy to mature while the rest is only 1/3they will all shrink and fattenyour hairs fattening alot and shrinking alot cause it was long when u startedoh and..dont let other ppl tell u it looks bad it looks great but u let theyre opinions influewnce your own self imagelook at it this way..u could weigh 80 pounds but if ppl call u fat u will see yourself as fat right?your dreads look amazing but if u let ppl tell u they look terible thats how u will see themdont let them influence your self image u look great the dreads look perfect and when they grow long againj ppl will be drooling all over them/you

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
They look like dreads to me. Are the people that are telling you they look bad people with dreads or regular hair? Most people are just clueless and if they don't look like KJC's or Bob Marleys then there must be something wrong with them. LOL! Dreads are as unique and different as we all are. There's really no right or wrong way for them to grow and mature. I think you'd be hard pressed to comb them out at this point w/o loosing & damaging a good amount of hair. You've already stuck with them for a while why not just give them another 6 months and see what happens. I think if you comb out and start over you'll just have the same thing happen again with even less hair. It just takes time. Personally i think they look great and are just where they should be. Give them a chance and ignore anyone with anything negative to say. They're just ignorant about dreads.
green bean
@green-bean
14 years ago
57 posts
they look good to me. mine has done the same. the back has knotted up alot faster and shrunk more than the front and sides. i have alot of loops and craziness but thats what makes them unique. all dreads are different. you will learn to love them how they are. they have character, just think of it that way sister =]
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
They actually look like they're coming along really really well! That loopy stage is a long one but it's a fun stage and it is essential to the dreading process. I had a LOT of loops and one side of my head dreaded faster than the other, but they are all working toward a common goal and they'll catch up. There will be more loops and knots on the sides eventually, and then they get more rounded and less loopy. Your loops are really cool and have a great texture, if you want to see some loopy phase and how it goes from there my timeline to 5 months has a lot of loopy phase photos.
Eva Deva
@eva-deva
14 years ago
36 posts
i think they look awesome!!mine are doing that too..gettin real bulky and lumpy and short....but, others are also moving, and stretching, and lengthening...i imagine dreads like a very slow paced catepillar moving along...they gotta bunch up first before they can go anywhere!!!so fun!!!i happen to like the gnarly lookin ones, they some of my favs that i have so far...
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
14 years ago
184 posts
I really like your dreads!

I think they're in that awkward locking up stage of development. Like, mine look like crap because they're new. They'll probably shrink up and get super loopy and stuff in a few months, and then hopefully 6 months after that they'll basically be all finished and just grow normally :D

I'd wait it out for a while and see how they go. if in a few months they still look "bad", then comb them out. But I agree with everyone else on here. they're awesome.
Alicia
@alicia
14 years ago
68 posts
Thanks guys!..This all makes me feel alot better. I guess I just need to come to this site more instead of listening to people who don't really know much about dreads. Or judging my own dreads by looking at people I see around town who have dreads that look really great.. maybe theirs are just really mature. Who knows. Anyways..I will keep them and see how they grow out. :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
maybe your judging yours against salon fdake looking dreads and wondering why do my dreads look real?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form