Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help for a dreads noob?

Rusty McDonald
@rusty-mcdonald
14 years ago
9 posts
I got my dreads crocheted and backcombed (I know I know... I just found out it's bad. Hopefully they'll recover) 3 days ago and I haven't washed them yet. I read in some places that I should wait 6 days before washing and in others a month. The problem is my hair is starting to get pretty stinky already and some of my dreads are coming loose.My hair is blondeish ginger so it's quite thin and gets greasy pretty easily. My hair wasn't that clean when I got them dreaded so I'm not really sure what to do.What shampoo do you recommend? One that I can get somewhere in Hong Kong preferably.Also, what do you guys use to make your dreads smell nicer when you're not washing them?And what should I do about the loose ones?
updated by @rusty-mcdonald: 02/14/15 06:38:12AM
kris
@kris
14 years ago
39 posts
http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/recipe-for-bsacv-please This link has a recipe for bs/acv rinse. You don't need to wait that long to wash your hair. I washed mine the day after I finished t&r and I've washed 2-3 times a week since then.
kris
@kris
14 years ago
39 posts
http://www.dreadlockssite.com/group/extracleandreadsbakingsodawashfans There is also a lot of info in this group.
JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
14 years ago
217 posts
having dreads never means lacking in hygeine. you should wash your hair from now on hopefully BEFORE it gets stinky and nasty. since you have fine hair you may want to wash every 3 days or so. as your hair gets used to not being washed as frequently as before you had dreads, it will stop over producing oils and you'll find your hair actually ends up becoming less oily after a short period of time and you will be able to wait a while longer between washings with no nastiness. ideally, dreads really should't stink at all, ever. you don't need to put anything on top of funky smells to try to hide it, just wash your hair like a normal person would.you can wash with a mix of 1 tbsp of bakig soda per cup of water, with some added essential oils, or you can order one of these awesome maylees bars http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&sc_id=59611&seller_id=12013&op=new dilluted dr bronners soap 12:1 i think... there's lots of options. i love the maylees bar. it smells awesome, has a great lather, makes my hair soft and fluffy... :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
wow never saw crocheted dreads up close they do look oddly wovenwhat to do asbout the loose ones/ hope all the tightly crochetted onres get as loosethey need to loosen up to dread rightso love emwash emlet em loosen upthen let em dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
yep definitely wash your hair. There's no reason to allow it to get dirty or gross. I highly recommend the maylees bar because it may help soften and loosen up the crochet.
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
When someone says Dr. Bronners 12:1 i assume that means once ounch Dr. Bronners to 12 ounches water right
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yes 12 times more water then brionners

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
karen
@karen
14 years ago
78 posts
first...wash your hair!You can use dr. bronners, burts bees or baking soda to wash your hair :)I got my dreads made by crochet before i found this site...join the crochet and dread tools recovery group...your not alone :)There is a good FAQs section...read dreaducation to stop worrying about the loose ones :)I have lots of lovely loose hair and i get compliments on days when i think it looks the messiest :DI put oils in mine to help them undread...i couldnt face brushing them out but may one day...itll take a few months for your dreads to normalise...get a hat if you want to hide fuzz :P
Katie Fairchild
@katie-fairchild
14 years ago
3 posts
your dreads look awesome! i'd say just let them go. seriously they look really good! I had mine for about a week and 3 days in i washed them. I used V05's shampoo because it's the shittiest shampoo out there that leaves hair dry. I figured it would knot mine up faster, plus it leaves it smelling really nice. but that's just me. dont give up on urs. they r beautiful
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form