Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread tips: Roll or let 'em go?

Katie2
@katie2
14 years ago
40 posts
I am currently constantly rolling my dread at then ends to have nice round tips.but I am always having to do it because some come undone at the ends.Any suggestions?Should I keep rolling them or should I let them go?My concern would be that they would unravel or something and not stay as tight....Thoughts?
updated by @katie2: 01/13/15 08:47:58PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
its better if they are not rounded blunt tipswhy..water runs out the endsa dread that takes 6 hours to dry with sa loose tip can take 38 hours to dry when bluntedthat greatly increasses the chance of moldjust leave em alone dreads should never need constant work..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ivan
@ivan
14 years ago
88 posts
a couple of mine have completely unraveled even though they're 7 months old, that's why i still have rubberbands on most of my tips. some of them unravel to a certain point and then they stopped. idk why this is but it's frustrating. hopefully once all the rubberbands come off they'll stay locked. so my suggestion is to not roll some of them and see if they'll stay locked, but if not your best bet would be to just put some rubberbands on the tips for a while or roll em.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
what?????????? rubber bands should never be left on dreads more then the 1st day or 2some dreads unravel mostly because u forced them into sections they dont wanna be in just leave em alone and they will redread the way they want to dread but do not put rubber bands in the tips and leave em inthats just a really bad idea

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
katrynn
@katrynn
14 years ago
58 posts
yeah, its better if they're not blunt. like everyone else says they'll do what they wanna do.mine make me mad too sometimes bc they dont have tight tips but i dont care too much nemore
Ivan
@ivan
14 years ago
88 posts
well when i first joined the site last november i read up and got all my info including the whole no rubberbands thing. but then when i tried my first attempt at t&r in december without rubberbands they only stayed in until the first wash which was 2 weeks later. i then decided it wasn't a big deal and left them alone to start naturally but that didn't work either. so in march i t&r'ed again but this time i left most with tips and some without just to see. the ones without completely unraveled and to this day are just regular hair and haven't dreaded at all even though it's been 7+ months. the others with the rubberbands have stayed dreaded and as they start to fall out, do not come unraveled. so they worked for me and didnt damage anything, i guess it's just my hair type.
Eva Deva
@eva-deva
14 years ago
36 posts
ive never had to use rubber bands...i have very long whispy tails on my dreads and expose them to extreme environments, they never come undone....or unravel...i have bout five blunted tips...and for my lifestyle, it is not suitable. it is true that it takes longer for the dreads to dry if the tips are blunted...what happens is that water pools and collects at the bottom of the lock...i have to squeeze the blunted dread to get the majority of the water out so it can dry properly...the un-blunted dreads pull the water out naturally, and they dry even FASTER than my hair did when it wasn't dreaded!!!! its really a cool thing to see...and while i think blunted dreads LOOK and feel better...the whispy ones are totally awesome for their efficiency.. :Dwith anythin in life...dont force it!!!if things are not workin out...leave it the hell alone!!!!if the blunted tips keep comin undone..man..just walk away. leave those babies free.
Eva Deva
@eva-deva
14 years ago
36 posts
also...with the TnR method...i used that on ten of my dreads and they NEVER came undone...not even after two weeks of solid non-stop SCUBA diving...so im not sure whats going on with people having their TnR's not "takin"...but i do know i treated my hair like hemp macrame and got the hair pretty tight and solid. I wasnt rough when i was twist and ripping my hair, but one lock took me over thirty minutes to do..(which is why i only did ten that way) but..they didnt go anywhere...and the new growth i have no is incorporating itself in to the rest of the formed lock very nicely....the formed lock from TnR is also moving and adjusting on its own, which is always a good sign.

Eva Deva said:
ive never had to use rubber bands...i have very long whispy tails on my dreads and expose them to extreme environments, they never come undone....or unravel...
i have bout five blunted tips...and for my lifestyle, it is not suitable. it is true that it takes longer for the dreads to dry if the tips are blunted...what happens is that water pools and collects at the bottom of the lock...i have to squeeze the blunted dread to get the majority of the water out so it can dry properly...
the un-blunted dreads pull the water out naturally, and they dry even FASTER than my hair did when it wasn't dreaded!!!! its really a cool thing to see...
and while i think blunted dreads LOOK and feel better...the whispy ones are totally awesome for their efficiency.. :D

with anythin in life...
dont force it!!!
if things are not workin out...leave it the hell alone!!!!
if the blunted tips keep comin undone..man..just walk away. leave those babies free.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form