Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

thin hair improvement since beginning dreadding.

Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
I've had long hair for a while and I have been told by many people that I had very thin hair, which made me look like I was balding. I hated it, because I'm only 23, 24 next month, I feel like I shouldn't be going bald. I had been thinking of cutting my hair short as my mom keeps telling me that it would make it look better, but I decided to go with dreadlocks first and see if I liked them, if not then I would probably end up shaving my hair.The more I read on dreadlocks the more I liked them. They seem so easy to maintain and a much healthier and natural route to take. After thinking about it for a (short) while, I decided to go for it and got my girlfriend to join me in the journey. I stopped brushing my hair and using the shampoo I was using, and this is my hair 2 days after:

As you can see, it looks like I have a bald spot right about the crown of my head.And this is what it looks like now:

This picture was taken 2 days ago, about at the week mark. All I have been doing is the baking soda/ACV wash about every 3 days and ripping any big bunches of hair that I find.I figured I'd put this here after seeing a few posts about thinning hair. Maybe this will help people ease into the decision of not using anything to help their hair. I have not figured anything out about what could have caused my thinning hair. I believed it was hereditary, as my grandfather and uncle (from my mother side) are bald, as well as my father. Maybe this means that it was all the chemicals, even though I only used a shampoo that, according to the lady at the barber shop, gently removed gunk and what not from the hair.
updated by @jon2: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
wow what a differenceand going natural was a great choicereally interested to see how it looks in a month

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
im gonna add 1 word to the title

--
Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
Add away, I have no problem.Yeah a friend of mine said the change was drastic. I hadn't noticed that "bald spot" until I took that picture, and it really shocked me. I thought going the natural route might help but I never expected it to look that much better so quickly.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea that was surprisingwill be interesting to see a whole timeline once theyre dreading well

--
Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
Yeah I gotta take more pictures, I took that one because my mom kept bugging for one lol.I'm hoping to see more knotting going on soon, right now it's mostly just a bunch of curls. A problem I got is that the top of my hair, since it's so thin, seems to just want to bunch up to dread with the rest of my hair (sides and back) and I end up using one of those combs with like a poker in it to go through my hair because I can't really get a grip on it.Hopefully, like my girlfriend said, it'll be better once the bottom knots up more.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Men with male pattern balding generally (but not always!) have oilier hair...so, one reason that your hair has improved so dramatically is because the BS/ACV combo is drying to the hair and scalp and will actually make it appear as if you have more hair for awhile. Unfortunately, this is temporary...if you truly are going to lose your hair it will happen regardless of the products used. You mentioned that your Grandfather and Uncle on your Mother's side are bald. Male pattern baldness seems to be inheritable from the Mother's side, so you are probably predisposed. Actually balding of this type has alot to do with levels of testosterone, usually higher levels than average. Keeping your scalp clean and oil free will most likely buy you some extra time but ultimately, it may go. One thing I would be careful about is when your dreads do become mature, the added weight pulling on your scalp may begin to accelertate the hair loss..so, even though it is not the norm, you may want to keep your dreads a bit shorter....this is a personal decision, but just keep in mind that it may make you sacrifice your hair. Good luck! In my 30 year career doing hair i have yet to find a permanent, safe and effective solution to hair loss...it is a real shame.
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
14 years ago
184 posts
I'm curious to see if anyone with dreadlocks has had problems with balding. It doesn't seem like that big of an issue, but then again I don't see many old people/predisposed youths getting dreaded.It sounds like it'll either help you or hurt you. not really neutral unfortunately.good luck though! Hopefully you can beat the genes.
vidar mathisen
@vidar-mathisen
10 years ago
2 posts

i got the same problem, each time i washed my hair and brushed it i would have halv a cat in the hairbrush, i was also thinking if the dreads turned out bad some how i would just shave it all off. but i think it will be fine. good luck sir :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form