Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A random thought about palm rolling

Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
We all know that oily hair takes longer to dread. We also know that throughout the day we tend to collect alot of oily residue on our fingers and hands. This is very apparent when you touch your face alot and you tend to break out more. This makes palm rolling seem a bit counter productive because the more you touch your dreads the more oil you are putting in them.Now your gonna tell me that you wash your hands before you do it so that you remove the oil. Well I can see the logic there but I don't see the nature in it.If you are properly washing your hands you shouldn't be taking off the oil. The oil is there for a reason. It has an acidic PH to protect your body from potentially threatining bacteria and invaders. So to properly wash your hands you just want to take the residue and grime out of the skins natural oil. Most conventional and even alternative "soap" has an alkaline PH meant to destroy the natural oils of your skin giving the illusion of cleanliness but then without your naturally acidic protection you are more vulnerable to harm.My longwinded point is that skin should naturally have an oily condition and since oil is a dread blocker than we should have limited skin contact with them for quickest results. I am not saying that we should never touch them because it would be unnatural to abstain from a sometmes neccesary action for our vanity, however I am saying that purposefully and excessively touching your dreads, i.e. palm rolling, may be counter productive and detrminental to healthy natural dreading.This is not an argument just a hypothesis based on physiological facts and not on experience so I would like to open it up for discussion. :-)
updated by @didjeridurian: 02/14/15 09:42:33AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
interesting pointi wonder if the oiliness can actualy counteract my biggest issue with palm rolling and all rubbing in general, the friction involved causing dammage..i doubt thered be enough oils to act as a sufficient lubricant to keep the froction from dammaging hair but the oils on the surface could possibly hurt on the surface while friction would most likely do the most harm deeper inside the dread?i would sooo love to get alotta donated hair to do dread experiments (including flamability of waxy dreads) and strength tests of dreads formed by varios methodsit sux that they had to complicate the simplest things that now we need scientific experiments to prove what was always common knowledge

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
well oil accelerates the heating process so I think the lubricant quality of oil would be far outweighed in that respect.lol trust me I know What you mean. Its frustrating when the ones promoting natural methods proven through millenia are the "radical" ones. soaringeagle said:
interesting point
i wonder if the oiliness can actualy counteract my biggest issue with palm rolling and all rubbing in general, the friction involved causing dammage..i doubt thered be enough oils to act as a sufficient lubricant to keep the froction from dammaging hair but the oils on the surface could possibly hurt on the surface while friction would most likely do the most harm deeper inside the dread?

i would sooo love to get alotta donated hair to do dread experiments (including flamability of waxy dreads) and strength tests of dreads formed by varios methods

it sux that they had to complicate the simplest things that now we need scientific experiments to prove what was always common knowledge
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i thought i read that oils like jojoba can heal scalp and roots but once the hair shafts dammaged nothing can repair it..jojoba being the oil closest to the natural oils produced by skin and scalp Didjeridurian said:
well oil accelerates the heating process so I think the lubricant quality of oil would be far outweighed in that respect.

lol trust me I know What you mean. Its frustrating when the ones promoting natural methods proven through millenia are the "radical" ones.

soaringeagle said:
interesting point
i wonder if the oiliness can actualy counteract my biggest issue with palm rolling and all rubbing in general, the friction involved causing dammage..i doubt thered be enough oils to act as a sufficient lubricant to keep the froction from dammaging hair but the oils on the surface could possibly hurt on the surface while friction would most likely do the most harm deeper inside the dread?

i would sooo love to get alotta donated hair to do dread experiments (including flamability of waxy dreads) and strength tests of dreads formed by varios methods

it sux that they had to complicate the simplest things that now we need scientific experiments to prove what was always common knowledge

--
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
Sure skin and scalp, and that's why your roots aren't supposed to knot. naturally that oil would never gwt that far up your hair.Incidentally that is why salt is so great. It is balanced so it doesnt upset the PH of your skin and it will leave the oil behind after it cleans the oil itself and exfoliates the skin. I do salt scrubs instead of alkaline soaps for that reason. Salt is also antibiotic so it controls odor.lol despite what they tell you fragrances and scents dont do anything but cover odor up. soaringeagle said:
i thought i read that oils like jojoba can heal scalp and roots but once the hair shafts dammaged nothing can repair it..jojoba being the oil closest to the natural oils produced by skin and scalp

Didjeridurian said:
well oil accelerates the heating process so I think the lubricant quality of oil would be far outweighed in that respect.

lol trust me I know What you mean. Its frustrating when the ones promoting natural methods proven through millenia are the "radical" ones.

soaringeagle said:
interesting point

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
well scents that are just scentslavander rosemary teatree thyme nettles and so forth have scents but have nmedicinal value as well Didjeridurian said:
Sure skin and scalp, and that's why your roots aren't supposed to knot. naturally that oil would never gwt that far up your hair.

Incidentally that is why salt is so great. It is balanced so it doesnt upset the PH of your skin and it will leave the oil behind after it cleans the oil itself and exfoliates the skin. I do salt scrubs instead of alkaline soaps for that reason. Salt is also antibiotic so it controls odor.
lol despite what they tell you fragrances and scents dont do anything but cover odor up.

soaringeagle said:
i thought i read that oils like jojoba can heal scalp and roots but once the hair shafts dammaged nothing can repair it..jojoba being the oil closest to the natural oils produced by skin and scalp

Didjeridurian said:

soaringeagle said:
interesting point

--
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
Great point, and another example of how sometimes following nature is as easy as following your nose :-) soaringeagle said:
well scents that are just scents
lavander rosemary teatree thyme nettles and so forth have scents but have nmedicinal value as well

Didjeridurian said:
Sure skin and scalp, and that's why your roots aren't supposed to knot. naturally that oil would never gwt that far up your hair.

Incidentally that is why salt is so great. It is balanced so it doesnt upset the PH of your skin and it will leave the oil behind after it cleans the oil itself and exfoliates the skin. I do salt scrubs instead of alkaline soaps for that reason. Salt is also antibiotic so it controls odor.
lol despite what they tell you fragrances and scents dont do anything but cover odor up.

soaringeagle said:

Didjeridurian said:

soaringeagle said:
interesting point

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
inorder for it to do any good it must do lots of badu have to palm roll a hell of alot to make any difference at all whoich does alot of dammage internaly

--
MountainWillow
@mountainwillow
15 years ago
141 posts
I was going to just say I agree with Stephanie.. I am not like a dread expert or anything, but I really dont put any energy into even thinking about palm rolling unless after showering because I honestly dont see what good it does, and the only reason I do it after shower is because I have horrible hair humiditiy and like to try to prevent any major flat stuff too. I dont do it otherwise, and when I do it- its very brief like my whole head takes 5 minutes LOL.. So far I havent noticed much of anything going on except brief tidying.And I agree with SE: some herbs are great for medicinal and hair purposes. My wash routine has gone all herbal ;)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
all the rolling and rubbing are mostly just extra complications they add to make it seenm like a good idea to use wax so it becomes easier and works betterwithout glueing your dreads together the amount of rulling and rubbing it takes to do any good at all is extreme..and causes alotta friction dammage in the process

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form