Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Twisting dreadlocks Theories?

ashley ✿
@ashley
14 years ago
167 posts
okay, so, recently there have been a huge buzz over this whole twisting thing. I have a few things to say about this, without doing any research and what not, of course because honestly, it's common sense. My hair is pretty natty on it's own, yes? I am a quarter African American and that's why, but even my hair would not benefit from any bit of twisting, so i don't know why some people would think that on they're fair hair, it would help. All it does is cause stress and everything on your root. When someone pulls your hair, it hurts right? it causes damage to your root, why would twisting not do the same exact thing? You're not being as rough with you're hair, i admit, but your still twisting and ranking on it in a way that it was not meant to be. It just does not make sense for people to try and twist their hair, especially when they have had a dread fall off. People wonder why some people of color have thinner hair, it's because they pull it so hard to try and maintain it, braids, and the twisting of dreads. If you notice the ones who don't do a damn thing to their hair, they have the crazy hair that you can't even see the scalp. if im wrong in any way, don't hesitate to correct me, but as for right now, i say anyone promoting twisting of any kind, it really kind of delusional.

updated by @ashley: 02/14/15 03:50:02AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
nope u are 100% rightif you twist to start dreads u do some harm like most methodsbut after that u should never retwist unlerss they fall completely apart then just retwist and leave em alonetwisting as maintenance cayuses those wide gaps between dreads hair being pulled in...sand pulled outslowly thinning the hair weakening the roots and someday the dreads may fall right offits just common senseyou dont need scientific studies when something just makes sence

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dreadlockedlady
@dreadlockedlady
14 years ago
39 posts
I agree.Over-twisting causes a lot of the problems.My first set of dreads I maintained by twisting. I didn't have any locs fall out but when I look back at pics, they were thin.This set I freeform. They look soooo much better and feel healthier. I can't stand the scalpy look but I don't knock anyone that does. It just isn't for me, LOL.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
well we had 1 guy that had twice as much scalp as dreads..and he was white and twistimgs just extra dumb fir white ppl hairi mean he literaly looked like 1/2 of the dreads wont last another monthbut he insisted on recomending everyone else twist toohe was only dreaded fir 7 momnths and looked like hed be bald before they were a year

--
Zen Rasta
@zen-rasta
14 years ago
19 posts
it's funny cause initially i wanted extensions, then i wanted to twist them, now i just can't be bothered. whatever happens, happens (i may do some sectioning). if i'm going to have locs i want them to look like they belong to me naturally not like i forced them to look a certain way. Now i dont like the look of excess scalp or spaghetti locs. i like the thickness that Fifi has
Pathargic
@patrick2
14 years ago
61 posts
I've had twists before. Didn't do a thing dread-wise. All twisting really does is define sections in the beginning. Constantly making sure their twisted tightly only keeps it in that state: Not dreaded, just twisted. It may "look" like dreads, but in reality it isn't. Basically, tightly twisted sections of hair =/= Dreaded sections of hair.
Kathleen1
@kathleen1
14 years ago
28 posts
people twist their hair for the sake of making it look neater. that's all it was meant for. it has no benefit in locking period. ppl, still set in their mindset, want their dread to look "socially acceptable". no research needed there. just most ppls mindset
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
i agree that only africans should use it and that ..if u hardly do it at all its finebut ive also seen dreads r=twisted right off and seen permenant scalp damage and hair loss too

Kaneilyas Hamilton said:
Twisting is fine and doesn't do any damage if you're doing it correctly. Also I only think african american hair texture should use this form of dread maintnence.

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
just seperarting will keep them from growing together while allowing the fuzzies to grow into a dread...or become a new baby dreadevery month i find new dreads popping upthe finny thibg is the fuzzies your trying to control a month laterr wiukld controll themselves on theyre ownespecialy in african hair which dreads so much shorterfor me they gotta get 4-6 inches b4 they form new dreads for u probly 1/4 inch

--
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
14 years ago
411 posts
I admit I started twisting a little, not insanely or tight but to kind of try to section (before finding this site and reading up on it) I did some very N00b things but have since stopped, though I do find myself twisting at times just out of habit of playing with my hair, and I definately think I touch it too much and need to stop, so I actually took up crocheting so that I have something to do w/ my hands other than play w/ my hair :P
 / 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form