Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Best alternative to wool is..?

Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
Since my girlfriend, Tina and I are vegan, we've been wondering what the best alternative to wool is? Does anybody know if there's anything that does the same thing that wool does (create static or whatever) to help the dreading process?I read in another thread that hemp was a good alternative, does it just not pull the hairs apart, or does it have a similar effect on the hair?Thanks in advance.
updated by @jon2: 02/14/15 05:33:51AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
hemps a good alternartive but wont have the same effects but for just compression and protection its a great alternativeim not sure anything would work like wool although rubbing a balloon on your head causes static too but i think wool has other properties besides the loose electron exchange that help toosomeone suggested lanolin in the wool might help too i dunno

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
Now I just gotta browse for a tam (or two, my girlfriend, Tina, is dreading along with me). Abit lame hemp won't do the same as wool but it's ok, I love hemp anyways. Great plant.
Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
Now I just gotta browse for a tam (or two, my girlfriend, Tina, is dreading along with me). Abit lame hemp won't do the same as wool but it's ok, I love hemp anyways. Great plant.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
look in our shops and the homegrown project if u buy from here use the code in supoert of dreadlockssite and 10% suports the site

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
Yeah I took a look at the shops and there's a lot of great work there. Great site you got here, man. Lots of great info. Thanks.
Alex Angam
@alex-angam
14 years ago
47 posts
Can vegans not use wool? I thought it was only animal products that harm or kill the animal. Don't get mad, I'm just curious! Because we all know that sheep get super gnarly and there wool grows right back, kind of like some dogs!
Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
No offense at all, bro. It's good to want to learn, as long as you're respectful (which you were) I don't mind answering questions.

You pretty much got it right, we don't want to use any products that are made by harming the animals. The thing is wool is, unless you know where it's coming from, you don't know how they got it. Most of the people the shear the sheep don't care much for how they do it, and the sheep does end up being hurt by it (not everyone is like this, though.) Also a most of these products that come from animals seem to be a by-product of animal farming.

An example of this is boar hair bristles for hair brushes. Some say they get them by simply clipping the boar's hairs, but it's hard to believe that someone (at least a big company) would spend the effort of doing this when they could be obtained from slaughtered pigs.

The majority of animal products are a by-product of animal farming. We want animals to lead a natural life, and since we are so developed here in America, we HAVE the choice to not use animal products. We simply want to end the suffering of the animals, or at least lessen it by not using the products ourselves and we should also educate others, and maybe they'll use them less.

Hope this cleared up why we don't use wool. There's so many people that don't seem to care about animals it's hard to believe someone isn't harming them unless you see the process in person, you know what I mean?And also, once the animal is done being useful, where will it end up?(Long, and edited to add more things that came from discussing this with my girlfriend. I've only been vegan for a couple of years, I can relate to the ease of these products, but they cause too much harm. We wouldn't want this to happen to us, why let it happen to them?)

Alex Angam said:
Can vegans not use wool? I thought it was only animal products that harm or kill the animal. Don't get mad, I'm just curious! Because we all know that sheep get super gnarly and there wool grows right back, kind of like some dogs!
Sam Adams
@sam-adams
14 years ago
19 posts
I've heard hemp as well. Try it out :)
Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
Yeah, I love hemp. Such a great versatile plant that takes very little resources. Now I just gotta figure out when I can afford a pair lol.

Sam Adams said:
I've heard hemp as well. Try it out :)
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form