Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How do you wear your dreadlocks to work?

Arturis Static
@arturis-static
14 years ago
51 posts

Hi everyone,

I got this idea based on Cat Lady's topic "wear to work options?" but that was more of a personal topic, and I would love to hear how people wear their dreads to work from any types of jobs.

As for me : I have an office type of job for a college, so they are not as strict. I wear business casual attire and I have my locks tied back in a pony tail with my own locks.
However, I am considering maybe working for UPS or FedEx as a part-time job next year and that type of job requires a lot of body movement and I know my dreads would be flying all over the place (not a good idea for a fast pace job). Times are tough and I know that's a place that will hire anyone but I might just have to sacrifice the locks :( if I can't find another type of job where the job or my locks will hinder my performance.

Thanks, look forward to reading everyone's replies :)

updated by @arturis-static: 01/13/15 08:46:25PM
Lisandre Tessier
@lisandre-tessier
14 years ago
17 posts
I work in a clothing store, mostly selling urban attire to 25-55 year olds.I wear my dreads loose, in two half-pigtails that hold everything back, or in a head band.I also like to braid the dreads that are closer to my forehead in somewhat of a french braid. It keeps my locks out of my face and still looks feminie :)Also, I'm going to a concert tonight and I'm thinking of putting a couple ribbon bows in there...
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
ups dont care about locks ive known drivers with lockslast office job id werar t shirts with the sleeves hacked off and leave my dreads downcurrent job running this sitedont even gotta wear clothes or care how my dreads lookgotta love workin for yourself from home even if u dont make alot

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
14 years ago
51 posts
lol@ don't even gotta wear clothes to workYeah you gotta do what makes you happy in life, money isn't everything. soaringeagle said:
ups dont care about locks ive known drivers with locks

last office job id werar t shirts with the sleeves hacked off and leave my dreads down

current job running this site
dont even gotta wear clothes or care how my dreads look
gotta love workin for yourself from home even if u dont make alot
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
I work from home also, just helpdesk support for an ISP, but these kinds of gigs are temporary and don't usually come with benefits. My contract for this job is up in December, I don't know if they'll contract it out again. I am also a college student so if I can't get another telecommute position I am going to see if there are any work study that I can get where my locks wont matter, in college settings they are less discriminatory about the hairstyle.I see you live in Texas, I know there are a lot of call center jobs (usually customer or technical support) in Texas and they don't *normally* discriminate against dreadlocks (you aren't customer facing so they aren't as worried about it). I have a friend who is an IT manager for Research in Motion and is a big fan of locks (though she doesn't have any herself) but that's in Irving Tx which is closer to Dallas and probably way to far for you.
Gary Charlesworth
@gary-charlesworth
14 years ago
50 posts
I just wear a fleecy sort of headband to hold them back. It looks pretty cool, but gets a bit itchy after a couple of hours. Although I think I could get away with wearing them down tbh.
Serenity North
@serenity-north
14 years ago
14 posts
if you have sally beauty supplies (if not i assume any beauty shop would have them)they have what i think they called a "do holder" ( i kno its funy) but it is like this tube piece of cloth and the part that comes to your forehead has ties at the back (so one size should fit all) they have several colors usually including nude and black ... it should be by the do rags and shower caps hair roller ect
Alex Angam
@alex-angam
14 years ago
47 posts
Just use a buff, or a shirt sleeve, everything can be tucked up in there nice and tight and you get no dreads flying around. I work with mulched food, and a mulcher that spits it all over the place, so I use one of these to keep my dreads covered from the nasty rotten food getting in there.
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
14 years ago
51 posts
You really do know people from all over the states :)Yeah I live in Houston,TX and Irving,TX would be out of my way. Working for Research in Motion does sound pretty kool thought. Free blackberries for all employees!! lol, I wish.....

tatyananashi said:
I work from home also, just helpdesk support for an ISP, but these kinds of gigs are temporary and don't usually come with benefits. My contract for this job is up in December, I don't know if they'll contract it out again. I am also a college student so if I can't get another telecommute position I am going to see if there are any work study that I can get where my locks wont matter, in college settings they are less discriminatory about the hairstyle.

I see you live in Texas, I know there are a lot of call center jobs (usually customer or technical support) in Texas and they don't *normally* discriminate against dreadlocks (you aren't customer facing so they aren't as worried about it). I have a friend who is an IT manager for Research in Motion and is a big fan of locks (though she doesn't have any herself) but that's in Irving Tx which is closer to Dallas and probably way to far for you.
Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I work as a bartender so I have a lot of freedom in what I can do with my hair at work. When I get lazy I just pull my hair back into a pony tail using what is actually a head band but looks like a giant hair tie or using one or more of my dreads to wrap around the others.

During the hot summer months and if the weight of my hair was hurting my neck I would bend my head down and pull all the hair up into a pony tail that sat on the top of my head so that minimal hair would be sitting on my back and neck making it much cooler.

Lately I've been playing with different ways I can use my hair to tie itself up in big messy buns and such. It bothers me if too much hair is flying around and getting in the way while I'm trying to pour drinks and cash out video poker slips.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form