Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Is there a certain length where locks become to look feminine ?

Arturis Static
@arturis-static
14 years ago
51 posts
Hello all,I feel a bit silly asking this question, but It's something that I've been thinking about. The other day I heard a lil kid ask his parent "Is that a guy or a girl..." I had walked past them and I didn't take offense at all, I just smiled because I found it amusing. I'm a guy with facial hair and at 6'1, so the kid only saw me from behind. And of course what he saw were 8 years of dreadlocks, so with the length and what he knows at that young age is that girls have long hair.But today I saw Lauren's picture that shows off her length http://www.dreadlockssite.com/photo/565-maryknoll-drive-101?context=user#axzz10HSRPpTS And even though mine is not yet that length (its like 5 inches above my waist) it made me ponder, Does the locks look feminine at that length, or is it because its a girl(in this case Lauren) with locks ?btw: I was surprise to find so many subforums, I'm glad I found this subforum where I think my discussion topic deals with a life type of issue.
updated by @arturis-static: 02/14/15 01:23:58PM
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
My first set was waist length, and there were a few times that someone would come up from behind me and say "excuse me ma'am" and it never really bothered me, I understood. Even had a cop do it once. But I don't think it looks too feminine, altho, a bit feminine, yes, but generally just when pulled back. Or at least mine did. But that's why I just keep facial hair, to clear up any indiscretion.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
baldheads are used to baldheadsif they saw a girl with a crew cut theyd ask the same questionthey are stuck in tye idea that all guys should look like marines with no more then 1/8 inch of fuzz and all girls should have long hairits not that u look feminine its that they have skewed perceptions based on cultural biases (most likely redneck culture or military family)and i funno if anyone thought i looked feminine id take it as a compliment girls just look amazing a work of art while guys look lot less interesting more like built to perform a function then to look appealingfor instance which is more vissualy appealling a ferrar..or a forklift..beinng mistaken for a butterfly in a feild of bees or a flower in a feild of thorns isnt a bad thing it means you stand out and are more vissually appealing then the run of the mill crew cut clone

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cage Free
@cage-free
14 years ago
41 posts
Hmmm, well, I think men with long dreads are beautiful, but I've never thought they looked feminine. In fact, around here (Taos, NM) there are more men with long dreads than women.
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
rawsum said:
hehe.. well if you want to press the limits of masculinity there's always the Utilikilt .. I SO want one too ;)
Those utilikilts kinda look comfy, but I'm a fan of going commando, so a good breeze and my face'll be red as Satan's ass!!! lolActually, one of my good friends went thru the 'goth' stage in high school, and it was just as Hot Topic stores were becoming popular, so he bought himself a pair of 'one legged pants'..... it was a dress.... I told him.... his mother told him..... his father laughed till he cried..... and yet my buddy still wore them to school..... he never lived it down! lol
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Love where this discussion went...you're all warped and I love you! My husband had long (undreaded) hair when we were first married (wish he still had it but he is going bald!) and got called Ma'am all the time until he turned around and he is 6'1" and built like a brick house. I soooo agree with everything SE said. Infact my poor husband really wants dreads too now but he feels like he has no hair for it. I personally think that long haired guys are sexier and I have always been attracted to that look....dreads just rock the long hair harder!
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
14 years ago
51 posts
I enjoy reading all the great responces.Lol@ "One legged pant"..yeah...Panerra Caraway, yes indeed dreads rock the long hair harder ,literally too !!, I can't even headbang at live Rock music concerts . Instead of headbanging, its more of an upper body workout, lol
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
Even undreaded long hair on a man is great.I personally think the whispy ends look femenine and the blunted ends masculine, but that's more in reference to how I refer to my dreads, I've named a few and the whispy ones sometimes end up becoming blunted ones, so they're transgender. :P lolI know I'm not the only one who names their dreads... am I? lol Cage Free said:
Hmmm, well, I think men with long dreads are beautiful, but I've never thought they looked feminine. In fact, around here (Taos, NM) there are more men with long dreads than women.
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
14 years ago
51 posts
hm...well count me out on having names for my dreads ^_^ lolAnd yup I have blunted ends, and I agree with the whispy ends looking more feminine. I've seen some girls with whispy ends and I love that look on a girl ! (not saying I don't like blunt end locks on a girl either) tatyananashi said:
Even undreaded long hair on a man is great.

I personally think the whispy ends look femenine and the blunted ends masculine, but that's more in reference to how I refer to my dreads, I've named a few and the whispy ones sometimes end up becoming blunted ones, so they're transgender. :P lol

I know I'm not the only one who names their dreads... am I? lol

Cage Free said:
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
14 years ago
154 posts
my husband has a beard and this waitress came up to us and was like what can i get you ladies and then looked at him seen he was a man walked away in embarassment then came back and messed up again and his hair is only shoulder length. i mean and hes a mainly hairy man ya know. so i think especially with the older generation they think any length but short it musht be a girl especially from behind when the younger genereation usually knows better. like my son is dressed in all blue and were callin him lil man and ppl tell us "oh shes so cute how old is she) b/c he has longer hair. i mean a kid i can kinda see be with my husband i thought it was a lil more crazy and funny. although he didnt find it nearly as funny as i did. i mean theres always the chance of someone mistaken you for a girl if u have longer hair. when i had short hair someone once call me sir. i think it has to do with what they expect. and as long as you know your manly and look manly a little mistake shouldnt bother you. i dont think there is a feminen length of hair especially when it comes to dreads but coming up from behind you someone may find a case of mistaken identity. but i wouldnt worry about it. accidents happen. i mean from my expierience most girls including myself like men with long hair. especially long dreads. so its wether the payout is worth the trouble. i think it is
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form