Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Neglect + Twist & Rip

supp
@supp
14 years ago
81 posts
Hey guys,I was wondering if I could neglect my hair for about 6months than get it twisted a riped? Is that beneficial? will it dread easier?I've still got a while before I can get dreads, as my hair is only about 4inches :-(....but I guess patience plays a large part in getting dreads :-)
updated by @supp: 01/13/15 08:46:20PM
Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
I'm no expert but I think it would be better to twist and rip then go neglect not the other way around. After six months of neglect the dreading process will be way on it's way so twisting and riping after would be pointless.
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
I agree, and with that short length would just start going natural and leave it that way Jdwood said:
I'm no expert but I think it would be better to twist and rip then go neglect not the other way around. After six months of neglect the dreading process will be way on it's way so twisting and riping after would be pointless.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea i agree just go natural i started with short too and went natural love how it worked out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ham'diya Mu
@hamdiya-mu
14 years ago
8 posts
Peace..I am not sure about the rip part of the process however in the early days of my locking my hair there were some dreds that I felt at the time were get too fat and since I twisted them it was a little easier to "rip" the little suckers..well since then I have developed some wisdom and real-eyed that in time locks condense so what was thick to me later became thinner..Now I am thicken them up by allowing them to lock together at the root and I help that process by either twisting them at the roots or binding them with the new growth and let nature do her thing!!
owen thompson
@owen-thompson
14 years ago
19 posts
i guess by now u get the point from what everyone has said here so far but yea the would be kinda backwards if you t/r after lol, puttin my 2 cents in to it im in the same boat my hair is about the same length as yours jus throw out the comb keep your hair clean and be patient...in my opinion maybe starting with short hair is a lil easier to manage, im seeing good progress already...Bless*
supp
@supp
14 years ago
81 posts
Thanks for your help guys, I haven't used a comb in a while anyways; but what I don't get when my hair gets wet it goes straight, wont the neglect effect take a huge reversal, and mess up the neglect effect im going for? (even with the baking soda )
freedomwoman
@freedomwoman
12 years ago
1 posts

I know I'm a little late with my reply, but I thought it might be of value to add another perspective to this issue due to my own personal experience. I started dreading over six months ago using the natural neglect method. I've had good results but my hair is extremely straight and its been a little slow going. I've also felt self conscious about the "messy" appearance of my hair and so a couple of weeks ago, I used the twist and rip method on some of the remaining loose sections of my hair. As a result, my hair looks more presentable and I've been able to go out into the world with more confidence (no more hiding under a bandanna). What's interesting about the results is that I now have a combination of both branch like dreads (a whole lot) and some more uniform ones (just a few). The naturally occurring ones represent freedom, spontaneity and earthiness for me, while the twisted and ripped ones seem to symbolize order, skillfulness and protection. My only question is, what do I tell people when they ask what method I've used? Approximately 75% of my hair had already locked into or started to resemble baby dreads when I twisted the loose hairs two weeks ago. And the hair I did twist did so very easily due to its tangled state. If anyone has an opinion, let me know. Thanks

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

mostly natural with a few tnr here and there ..just be honnest best policy

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form