Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help! I do not think my hair is dreading

Mary
@mary
14 years ago
140 posts

Hello All,So I tried twisting again but that was unsuccessful (twists would not stay with gel, I know real smart of me) So I decided that I was just going to leave my hair the way it is.The only problem is I do not think it is dreading. I think its just nothing but new growth. Has anyone had this experience before? Does anyone know how long it would take for my dreads to start dreading because right now I just have dreaded tips and nappy hair, people are starting to think I just have a weird afro. Any and all suggestions are welcome, except wax and twisting since twisting is a no go. I have included some pictures that I took this morning. I thought my hair looked dry so I added some pure jojoba oil.
updated by @mary: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
they are dreading just fine looks lil too oily/geledthe roots need to get longer to dread i think the only reason u think its not dreading is cause the dreads were i guess twisted super duper tight so the dreads are extremely skinny leaving gaps between

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
Agreed, whoever put those dreads in for you put them in ridiculously tight, that itself might slow the dreading process, but just let your hair grow, don't think about, don't look at it, don't touch it for the next week or two. Then the only thing you need to do to them after that is make sure to separate your roots. DON'T retwist, you'll break the hair at your roots and dreads will start falling off. DON'T add gels or wax's, natural oils are fine, but in moderation, if your hair is slick and lubricated then it won't lock up. Just relax and stop thinking about it. You are obviously just starting this set of dreads and you're worrying too too much. Just light a blunt and sit back, it'll all work out.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
How long has it been?I agree tight twists might inhibit dreading same with gels and products.
Mary
@mary
14 years ago
140 posts
It has been over a month and I just started to wash my hair.
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
Washing is actually good for your dreads. The water helps to get your hair moving a bit, and movement equals dreading. Plus, you don't want your scalp to get too oily, oil is a lubricant, and if your hair is lubricated then the knots will just slip out.
savage
@savage
14 years ago
90 posts
hmm maybe theyre kinda oily.maybe u should let em stay dry for a while.so the knots wont slip for now
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form