Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

When can you start to condition?

MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
I am around six months in and have those "teenage" dreads. Some really tightening loopy dreads, some loose dreads, and a lot of loose wispy hairs. I have really curly hair and it is DRY most of the time. I had to quit using the seasalt spray months ago because my hair became "cripsy" LOL! I am seeing some real locking up the last month or so, but because I have naturally curly hair and have not used my usual shampoo and conditioner since starting my dreads, my hair is really dry. I actually just washed with a really heavy over the counter shampoo (left over) today because my hair desperately needed some moisture- it was dull and dry on the ends - and then washed again with Bronners to remove any heavy lanolin or glycerin. My hair is much softer and shiny and still dreaded. I don't want to do that regularly though because of the buildup.So, my question is - Can I start conditioning with something (I don't know what) and how often can I do it without damaging the progress I have made??? I just have that type of hair that needs "something" extra for a little moisture now and then.
updated by @midread: 01/13/15 08:44:22PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
the baking soda acv combo does me good pretty much but if u need any extra u can sdd a lil al;oe or jojoba but try not to overdo itu can use it as needed but try to use it only when y realllly need it at least till theyre lil tighter

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
I have used the BS/ACV and I alternate that with a tea tree and Bronner shampoo, but after a while my hair just starts to feel "brittle" and has NO shine. I realize dreads are not "shiny" per se, but they should look like healthy hair and have a little shine. Mine become dull and dingy - looking and feel like steel wool and a little stiff - almost like I waxed. I am sure it is just my hair type. I dilute the Bronners a ton to not get that sticky feeling now - so I am sure it is not a result of too much soap. I dumped a ton of conditioner on it before I dreaded to keep it silky and shiny looking. I have a small bottle of Jojoba, but when I use that I just feel "greasy". Are dreads usually soft and flowy????? I don't know anyone with dreads to "cop a feel on" ha-ha! In a lot of the pictures I see on here, people's dreads look nice and soft and "fluffy" LOL! The ones I have that are tightening up are really stiff!!! I mean, not sticking up straight stiff, but not "flowy" and soft either, except for at the root where they are not dreaded - then after that is like a hard rope. Normal?????
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
try a lil cocoa butter otr cocanut oil in the acv rince or aloetheres several options

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form