Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Shampoo Formula?

Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
Hey Everyone!Can anyone give me a good formula for shampoo. I have always used Dr. Bronners (and loved it) but I have heard mixed reviews about using it with dreads. I usually dilute it to 50%.I guess what I am really asking is:Is bronners ok for dreads... and if so what is the best dilution levelIf bronners in no good what is a good shampoo, and....How much baking soda should I use in the mix, or should I always use the soda seperate?Thanks everyone
updated by @didjeridurian: 02/14/15 06:41:50AM
does it matter
@does-it-matter
15 years ago
31 posts
my scalp didint' come that clean from it, and i let it sit for like 15 minutes, my scalp still had like an oily residue on it, almost a waxy feel ya know. n i dont' use wax... that would be scalp, so im thining i must not have used the right amount of baking soda..
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
Hey Zachary,When you say "it" are you talking about the baking soda or the bronners? zachary john said:
my scalp didint' come that clean from it, and i let it sit for like 15 minutes, my scalp still had like an oily residue on it, almost a waxy feel ya know. n i dont' use wax... that would be scalp, so im thining i must not have used the right amount of baking soda..
Kath
@kath
15 years ago
73 posts
all i know is thyme is great for an oily scalp. you can put it in your baking soda mix or make a thyme dread tea
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
dr bronners u want 12 times as much water as soap so 50-50 was way offbaking soda1/3-3/4 cup to a gallon water is what i usezach had u ever used wax even once that could account for that?or maybe was too weak?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
does it matter
@does-it-matter
15 years ago
31 posts
uhm the broners i use now for even my body is 1/10it was refering to the bakin soda, but i didnt' have the recomended amount of soda, andddddddddd the washes i used previous i stayed away from scratching, digging or even really rubbing my scalp, i just poured some on, squeeze my locks a bit each, then rinsed with hot water, it kep the dread clean, but the scalps where i gotta pay attention, i didnt' use wax, accept once on ONE dread..to experiment in the first months growth to see which did bette,r might i say the one without acceled way faster but anywho... no wax, i think i just hadn't washed my scalp really good since i started them a month or so back.. plenty of weekly washings but never worked the scalp cuz my hairs hard enough to get to lock, need to sea salt, and roll a lot to keep the hairs in for the first month, now they're starting to do their own thing as i thought they would a month or so in..anywho..hopefully a good bakin soda wash, well soaked will take care of my gunk..cuz i don't want it in there for that long man, dont' want it in my dreads, or on the new growth ya know.. hmmf we'll see i guess~zak
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
Thanks everyone,I filled a 15 ounce bottle with 1.5 ounces bronners, 3 T baking soda, and 1 T sea salt.I washed real good for the first time in a while since I was unsure of what type of wash to use and after I dried them out real good they started to thighten up right away.They got pretty fuzzy but you could defenitly still tell that they were only getting better. And to be honest I really dont mind the fuzz.Thanks again zachary john said:
uhm the broners i use now for even my body is 1/10
it was refering to the bakin soda, but i didnt' have the recomended amount of soda, andddddddddd the washes i used previous i stayed away from scratching, digging or even really rubbing my scalp, i just poured some on, squeeze my locks a bit each, then rinsed with hot water, it kep the dread clean, but the scalps where i gotta pay attention, i didnt' use wax, accept once on ONE dread..to experiment in the first months growth to see which did bette,r might i say the one without acceled way faster but anywho... no wax, i think i just hadn't washed my scalp really good since i started them a month or so back.. plenty of weekly washings but never worked the scalp cuz my hairs hard enough to get to lock, need to sea salt, and roll a lot to keep the hairs in for the first month, now they're starting to do their own thing as i thought they would a month or so in..
anywho..hopefully a good bakin soda wash, well soaked will take care of my gunk..cuz i don't want it in there for that long man, dont' want it in my dreads, or on the new growth ya know.. hmmf we'll see i guess

~zak
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
Hmm, I think I like that idea of mixing the soap with baking soda. I think I'll try that after I try the straight baking soda wash.I think I might be having an alergic reaction to the soap I have, my scalp isn't too oily or too dry but it's a little itchy. switched back to suave and it's a little better. I just need something without fragrances. =/ Didjeridurian said:
Thanks everyone,

I filled a 15 ounce bottle with 1.5 ounces bronners, 3 T baking soda, and 1 T sea salt.
I washed real good for the first time in a while since I was unsure of what type of wash to use and after I dried them out real good they started to thighten up right away.
They got pretty fuzzy but you could defenitly still tell that they were only getting better. And to be honest I really dont mind the fuzz.

Thanks again

zachary john said:
it was refering to the bakin soda, but i didnt' have the recomended amount of soda, andddddddddd the washes i used previous i stayed away from scratching, digging or even really rubbing my scalp, i just poured some on, squeeze my locks a bit each, then rinsed with hot water, it kep the dread clean, but the scalps where i gotta pay attention, i didnt' use wax, accept once on ONE dread..to experiment in the first months growth to see which did bette,r might i say the one without acceled way faster but anywho... no wax, i think i just hadn't washed my scalp really good since i started them a month or so back.. plenty of weekly washings but never worked the scalp cuz my hairs hard enough to get to lock, need to sea salt, and roll a lot to keep the hairs in for the first month, now they're starting to do their own thing as i thought they would a month or so in..
anywho..hopefully a good bakin soda wash, well soaked will take care of my gunk..cuz i don't want it in there for that long man, dont' want it in my dreads, or on the new growth ya know.. hmmf we'll see i guess

~zak
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
Puppy did you ever try bronners?I use it for everything from cleaning my floors to my laundry my dishes and my hair. It is awesome. They have some great scents like lavendar, almond, peppermint (all natural of course) and they even have a great scentless one for babies that I use for my hair.plus there is some really cool stuff on the bottle to read while you are on the comode :-P Puppy said:
Hmm, I think I like that idea of mixing the soap with baking soda. I think I'll try that after I try the straight baking soda wash.

I think I might be having an alergic reaction to the soap I have, my scalp isn't too oily or too dry but it's a little itchy. switched back to suave and it's a little better. I just need something without fragrances. =/

Didjeridurian said:
Thanks everyone,

I filled a 15 ounce bottle with 1.5 ounces bronners, 3 T baking soda, and 1 T sea salt.
I washed real good for the first time in a while since I was unsure of what type of wash to use and after I dried them out real good they started to thighten up right away.
They got pretty fuzzy but you could defenitly still tell that they were only getting better. And to be honest I really dont mind the fuzz.

Thanks again

zachary john said:

~zak
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
also I just wanted to clarify that I have a separate mixture of ONLY baking soda that I use more frequently than the soap one. I do the soap one once a week and the baking soda one twice a week. Unless I am doing a lot of training in the heat than I may wash more.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form