Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads interfering with job opportunities

Samantha2
@samantha2
14 years ago
25 posts
Unfortunately I am in a predicament where my mom thinks the reason I am not being hired for jobs is because of my dreads. Getting rid of them is not an option, so the next step would be a wig. I just don't know what to do, I am soooo flustered. Does anyone know of any online wig stores with decent prices?
updated by @samantha2: 01/13/15 08:44:13PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
just tell your mom shes wrong we have plenty of people here employed in high end jobs with dreads some with phds we have ppl wotking in law firms we have drs nurses hell i know cops with dreads tell her that almost no job cares and its pretty much ilegal descriminationjust tell her the economy is causing everyone to have trouble finding jobs but its no harder for dreads then anyone else

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Samantha2
@samantha2
14 years ago
25 posts
Yeah I explained that and she has always respected & supported me dreading but I am starting to feel she is right. I have had like 5 interviews and none of them have worked out. I put my hair up as nice as I can but there is only so much I can do. I am just going to keep moving forward and hope for the best
Samantha2
@samantha2
14 years ago
25 posts
I hear you. Some of my locks are still a little wild. Every lock on my head has at least one loop or kink and some of the ends are just starting to lock so they are not crazy but they are definitely maturing. Stay strong we got this :) High fives
Samantha2
@samantha2
14 years ago
25 posts
I hear you. Some of my locks are still a little wild. Every lock on my head has at least one loop or kink and some of the ends are just starting to lock so they are not crazy but they are definitely maturing. Stay strong we got this :) High fives
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
14 years ago
327 posts
I kinda second SE here Samantha. I think its more bout not thinking about those "wild locks"in an interview. See, interview is where they wanna see confidence and if (even subconsciously) you are thinking that maybe he might see my locks and percieve smthng..it shows..when i was starting my dread (not even had dreads but just leaving conditioner n comb) i went to so many interviews and got rejected...i thot the same thing... then after backcombing...within a week it unravelled a lot and had more "Crazy" look but I went to an interview stoned..lol (not saying that u shud get stoned or anything..it just helped me at that point) and seriously I forgot all about my hair...everything he asked I was so alert...like a dog around fly or smthng..hehe luckily he didnt get that i was stoned (or mayb he did) and i got the job... and it was for EA games,England so it was quite tough...so forget about your hair..forget about it completely and ppl wont even notice..its only when our body lang. falters that ppl can see things...in other words keep him so busy with yourself that he forgets abt ur hair just like u did b4 walking in the roomimagine wearing a wig...what is that gonna do to your confidence?i hope u get that m not saying u dont have confidence or nethng...m jst saying project urself even mre confidently than u already do and in thse hard times...hope that you get the job..i sure will pray that u do:)
pixie
@pixie
14 years ago
144 posts
I think the wig route may just look a bit off. Try a headband and pulling your dreads back in a tight ponytail. Or pull em back in a bun.It's def not the dreads hun. It's hard out there to get a job.Everyone told me its too hard to get a job when you have dreads. I talked to many company's about this. As long as hair is pulled back out of your face, dreads aren't a major point of concern. Just have to make sure you are qualified for the job. haha.
Justin Gibson
@justin-gibson
14 years ago
42 posts
yeah not to much about your locks the econemy aint to great thats the reason iv been unemployed until well tonight lol my first day back at a job in awhile. keep it up stay persistant dont give up.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form