Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I made a big mistake by twisting, backcombing, hairspray, twist, backcomb, hairspray. What should I do?

Sawdog
@sawdog
15 years ago
8 posts
I made a big mistake by twisting, backcombing, hairspray, twist, backcomb, hairspray.What should I do?
updated by @sawdog: 01/13/15 08:25:59PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
wash out the hairsprayleave em alone to dread on theyre own

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
tha tron
@tha-tron
15 years ago
147 posts
lol, you didn't make any mistakes I wouldn't keep using the hairspray. what I would do is continue to twist them. Looks like you have very short hair, so twist them using a natural shea butter, sweet almond oil, or avacado oil. If you want your dreads close to your scalp you can use a nappy locs tool (or latching). there's a great tutorial on youtube on how to make your own nappy locs tool. Ive done it and it works very well if you want the mantained look. loc Tool DIY Vid interlock your locs!! that's the name of the vid on youtube. Shoot a message at me if you need anymore info
Kath
@kath
15 years ago
73 posts
Hey Tron! just thought i would throw this one out there - with caucasian hair, we are advised again oils and butters and stuff but with your hair texture, it is most welcomed - why is that? DO you have to dry your hair out at all to help it dread or it just doesnt need it? very interested in hearing from you. tha tron said:
lol, you didn't make any mistakes I wouldn't keep using the hairspray. what I would do is continue to twist them. Looks like you have very short hair, so twist them using a natural shea butter, sweet almond oil, or avacado oil. If you want your dreads close to your scalp you can use a nappy locs tool (or latching). there's a great tutorial on youtube on how to make your own nappy locs tool. Ive done it and it works very well if you want the mantained look. loc Tool DIY Vid interlock your locs!! that's the name of the vid on youtube. Shoot a message at me if you need anymore info
tha tron
@tha-tron
15 years ago
147 posts
hey I found this little article that kind of sums up your questions. Yeah Im no expert on hair and wont pretend to be we just grow up knowing that we have to put grease in our hair or else it will be very,very coarse and dry and that equals breakage.Afro hair type has a unique texture. At first glance it appears thick and strong but this is deceptive. There are fewer hairs per square inch than any other type of hair so it rarely grows very thick. Also, the curved follicles give each hair a spring-like action which makes the curls appear short. The type and degree of curl is, in fact, the main difference between Caucasian and Black hair. Instead of growing and curling in a uniform manner the hair grows in various directions, thus making it fall in uneven frizzy waves. In addition, far from being strong, this type of hair is the weakest - fragile and dry, it rapidly loses moisture and needs daily moisturizing to keep it in condition. Kath said:
Hey Tron! just thought i would throw this one out there - with caucasian hair, we are advised again oils and butters and stuff but with your hair texture, it is most welcomed - why is that? DO you have to dry your hair out at all to help it dread or it just doesnt need it? very interested in hearing from you.

tha tron said:
Sawdog
@sawdog
15 years ago
8 posts
Thanks, i will let them be free. soaringeagle said:
wash out the hairspray

leave em alone to dread on theyre own
Sawdog
@sawdog
15 years ago
8 posts
Thanks, that was some good info and i will try the loc tool when my hair gets a little bit longer. tha tron said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
interlocking is not recommended and causes weak spotsthere are no legit "tools" for dreadingtwisting a lil can help twisting alot can hurtu just wanna twist till it holds form and only retwist when they fall apart once they hold together wash after wash then stop completelyearly stages id use aloe over oils and butters they are better off left for when theyre more mature (i believe) aloe instead of making them slippery and greasy tightens and shrinks as it dries and conditions, pulling knots in tighter

--
Kath
@kath
15 years ago
73 posts
I think it all just depends on hair type. As I said before, I know that a lot more african-americans use oils and butters on their dreads and always thought there must be a reason for it - just didnt know what that reason was.And personally for my hair type, twisting would be the biggest waste of time. i dont see how twisting could possibly make knots in my hair but it seems to work well for african-american or really curly hair. Dont see that the twisting could hurt too much as long as you dont twist your hair off your head so give it a go! soaringeagle said:
interlocking is not recommended and causes weak spots
there are no legit "tools" for dreading
twisting a lil can help twisting alot can hurt
u just wanna twist till it holds form and only retwist when they fall apart once they hold together wash after wash then stop completely

early stages id use aloe over oils and butters they are better off left for when theyre more mature (i believe) aloe instead of making them slippery and greasy tightens and shrinks as it dries and conditions, pulling knots in tighter
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
lanthe made an excelent thread on locking african hair but her sis deleted her acount and all her amazing threads with itshe will be recreatting soonbut i know just aloe and a very lil bit of palm rolling in the very beginning was all she neededafrican hair dreades soooo easily naturaly that doing snything is really unnesacary but doing a tiny bit can give ya just enough control if controlled is yout thing..what he did was excessive even for most other hair typesbut if he just gets the hairspray out and leaves it alone from here dreads will form fastthe only real concern would be the level of dammage done since african hairs actualy more easily dammagedhowever theoreticly the overall strength of the dread shouldnt suffer as much from lil dammages doe to the relative tightness of the bound together knots..

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form