Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Why I am against wax and Johnny Clean's products...

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Okay, I have stayed quiet long enough! I will probably do better to mind my own business then to jump into this mess but I can't in good conscience leave it alone. I have been a hairdresser for 30 years, and I know my job very well. I have kept quiet on this debate because I have only had dreads for one month and until I came to this site I knew nothing about dreads specifically. That said, I do know about hair...how it works, how chemicals affect it and the internal structure. I have a very good grasp on what occurs within the hair structure when it is exposed to heat, chemicals and backcombing. So, dreadlocks aside, I think I qualify on a professional level as a hair expert. First off, let me say that ANY SUBSTANCE that contains chemicals does varying degrees of damage to the hair structure. The first layer of hair (there are 3 total) is called the cuticle. In a close up this looks like scales on a fish. These little scales open and close repeatedly when subjected to chemicals or oxygen, that's right, oxygen! When you use a hair color other than henna or a vegatable dye the hydrogen (oxygen) molecules pull open those scales to let the color pass deeper into the hair to become permanent. When you use a blowdryer, these little scales open too..also, when you put water on your hair the scales open from the oxygen as well. The main purpose of these scales opening and closing is to allow a chemical to penetrate into the structure and become a part of it as in perms or color or to allow dirt to leave the hair as in shampooing. Remember, that it was people who invented these chemical processes. And any chemical that penetrates that first layer becomes more and more damaging the deeper it goes. That is why perms and relaxers are the most damaging...since to be effective they go to the inner third layer. All that said, wax does not penetrate into the hair...but the use of it even in small doses coats and impedes the cuticle layer (those scales) from opening and closing properly to let the hair be cleansed. Those scales have a limited life and when they are impeded by being opened and closed too frequently (by repeated chemical processes) or stuck shut by wax, they degrade the hair! And, in case you didn't know...damage on hair is cumulative, just like in skin! You can get a sunburn every year of your life and feel great until your 35 and have skin cancer! As for backcombing...and crocheting....these processes vigerously force those same scales open and if the manipulation is aggressive enough the scales will not function as they are supposed to. These are facts, not opinions! I liken this entire debate to the one about weight loss. You can lose weight with diet and exercise, and that is what is healthiest. You can also lose weight by gastric by pass and take the risk of dying on the table or having some other serious side effect..so, if you can change your mind set and be healthy...why wouldn't you?! In conclusion, let me reiterate...wax is bad, used sparingly...it is still like saying "I am a little bit pregnant". Alittle or alot, it is not good for anyone's hair. Backcombing and crocheting are also very damaging and degrading to hair. To be honest with you ...a blowdryer and flatiron are bad too. Everything you can do to your hair, except shampooing with herbs and natural ingredients like baking soda or vinegar/lemons will harm your hair! Over time this damage will systematically destroy your hair whether it is dreaded or not!!! Because I know all this I knew that what SE said here was not an opinion but a thoughtful set of FACTS! Anyone who wants to challenge what I just said...BRING IT OR SHUT UP ALREADY! Reply to This
updated by @panterra-caraway: 01/13/15 08:44:08PM
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Thank you for the information. I didn't know the cuticle scales opened and closed.
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
14 years ago
327 posts
awsome post!kjc replied to this on his thread...did u read it?
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
yeah thats awesome info panterra but i think its fallen on deaf ears ........ sigh
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Thank you everybody! I tried to be thorough without rambling on or being so technical that no one would read it. This is a very stripped down explaination but all factual. Hair is truly magnificent and I never even covered the other two layers (cortex and medulla)! Lol Before I ever came to this site or began my journey I cared about hair and worked in the industry for a very long time. I take pride in my work but I perform my work with a conscience, something Johnny might think of doing more often. And Raw Sum, you are a treasure...you make me smile a whole lot! Love to y'all!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form