Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dragonfly's TnR Timeline (Starting August 2010)

Dragonfly
@dragonfly
14 years ago
47 posts
Hello everyone! *waves*In addition to keeping pictures on my page, I thought I would centralize in the timeline forum for members/guests looking for some examples of TnR. I know I've spent a good bit of time in here looking at everyone's progress, so it's only fair I contribute!So... this was my hair for pretty much my entire life. Long, curly, thick, dark brown. I never colored it (well, only once with a temporary dye), only cut it short twice, tried to stay away from blow dryers but spent a lot of money on conditioners and various products to help me detangle it and keep the curls defined.

Then, in late June 2010, I decided it was time to make a bold move. I wanted dreadlocks! My best friend had locks for several years before I knew her, and she suggested that I braid my hair to see how I liked it as a stepping stone to locks. Since I spent my entire life playing conservatively with my hair, it would give me a little more time to think it over.

Turns out I loved it! I received more compliments on my hair during the month or so that I kept my braids than I ever received with my long curly hair. But as the days went by, I knew more and more that I was ready to lock it up. Although I was sure my hair would lock easily going the natural/neglect method, I decided to use the sectioning I had already started and Twist and Rip my hair.

It took a reeeeally long time, actually over the course of a week but with the majority done in one day, but I loved the results!

So now it has been about one week since finishing with the TnR. A lot of the dreads have loosened up and a good bit of the curl has come back, but some of them are starting to tighten. I'm loving all of the loops and twists and even the fuzziness!

It was such a liberating moment to throw away all of the conditioners and products I had been using on my hair. I love to touch my hair and not feel any sticky residue. All in all, I'm a happy girl!One week photos, about 30 minutes after showering:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*Two weeks update!

Loops and such!

This is the underneath area:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*Three weeks update:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*Four weeks update! These were taken about 1 hour after washing.

I still love every day with my hair. I've recently switched from Dr. Bronner's to Baking Soda and can really notice a difference. I think DrB was leaving a residue. Now my hair is squeaky clean and wants to tighten up much faster post shower. Yay hair!
updated by @dragonfly: 02/14/15 03:27:27AM
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
OMGurd your dreads are beautiful!!! I can't wait to see them mature!!!!
Dragonfly
@dragonfly
14 years ago
47 posts
Aw, thanks Alden, you just made my day!!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
wow wow wow your dreads look sooooooooooooooooo goodlove love love emim gonna post this to facebook

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dragonfly
@dragonfly
14 years ago
47 posts
Wow, thank you, SE! I'd be honored to represent on FB :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
all those wax users need to see the results u can get when u use no products an faster toothey look so good way way way better then any waxy backcombed dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dragonfly
@dragonfly
14 years ago
47 posts
Yay! I can't even fathom the idea of putting wax in my hair. I was so fed up with leave-in conditioners and mousse and creams and gels, and all that stuff actually washes out!
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
Congrats on starting your journey! You are in for one HELL of a ride! My t&r dreads just turned a year old a week ago, and I'm still watching them change and mature more and more every day! I'm also super envious of your curlies! I hope the ends stay that way, as it'll give your dreads sooo much more character!
Dragonfly
@dragonfly
14 years ago
47 posts
Thanks, Faelwynn! I definitely consider your timeline an inspiration. I'm really looking forward to the journey and the unknown - just letting my hair go at it however it wants :)
Dragonfly
@dragonfly
14 years ago
47 posts
Thanks, Megan! My hair really took to the Twist and Rip method.
 / 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form