dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

natural dreadlocks or neglect method dreading

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts

there is so much misinformation about growing (not making) natural dreadlocks
the method called neglect is not accurate, you dont want to stop washing your hair and neglect hygene
clean hair dreads best
you want to stop combing and conditioning
continue washing but using a non residue soap
wait...wait.. wake up 1 morning ind feel around.. whats this? a baby dread? feel for clumps forming holding together
seperate them from eachother (unless your bound by beliefs to not rip or interfere then allow them to dread as they please)
go play in the woods or swim inthe ocean
put on some reggae and dance
check again in a few weeks

again u can choose to play with em, roll twist or just allow em to go theyre own way..if u choose to rip roll or twist do the minumum you need (except ripping if you dont want confgos do this often especialu till mature)

shake your dreads dance some more wash when u need (weekly is good)
and dont let any backcombed crochetted waxed up kids tell you that your doing it wrong or you should do abything but wait for beautiful dreads

theres no way to guess at a timeline ..often dreads form in a week or 2 but often it takes longer

the claims if a year or more are a very rare few

other tips
wearring a wool tam helps alot, but seperate after so u dont get 1 huge tam sha;ped dread
aloe and sea salt are great if used in moderation

believe in yourself and youir choice to dread the way dreads have always dreaded
believe in nature
your on the right path

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/14/15 08:30:25AM
Kath
@kath
15 years ago
73 posts
I must say I hate the term "neglect method". It just grosses me out. I automatically think dirt, grease, peanut butter and bugs.The term "natural method" is so much more pleasant. A great method if you have the patience (but i guess dreads are all about patience). I so wish this forum had have existed at the start of my dread journey. Would have definately tried the natural method first.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i love it how a 13 year old who dreaded from 11 knew at 11 that wax was bad, but 80% of all 15-20 year olds forget the odvios..that was makes no sense at allgood postand kath i dont like the term neglect either..lets call em..lovedi loved my locks enough to let em grow on theyre own

--
sam
@sam
15 years ago
40 posts
Most of my back-combing came out, like COMPLETLY, but i'm going completly natural now, instead of stressing over making them look "presentable" as my parents say.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
backcombing often does very little or nothing its not really a part of the dreading processbut presentablility is determined by who yoir being pressented to.. in some crowds wild drewds are the most pressentable while crew cuts and 3 peice suites are riduculedjust tell em that pressentable means different things to different groups and ya cant be expected to join theyre group just cause they want ya to

--
oReOs
@oreos
15 years ago
3 posts
O.K. So for many many years from the time I was about 13 to 17 I always did the back comb method. But I was never happy with the results and It always ended in me shaving them off. but after I had shaved like the 6th set of dready's off I decided to do it the right way.... Just let 'Em grow! I'm on 5 years now of all natural growth and they aren't going anywhere! So In my opinion the only way to go is the all natural way! Just like Soaringeagle said, Love 'em enough and they'll grow.
Boobie
@boobie
15 years ago
37 posts
so personally im really starting to like the natural method... ive been asking questions and getting so much good feed back about it. i love the fact that people dont freak out over it. it just seems so free and amazing. im truly considering just letting nature do its thing...but the only problem i have is that i need a job. i read what soaringeagle said about presentability and its very true. but im just worried about how closed minded the world is and they'll see my hair all nappy while im in the dreading process and think the worst and turn me down. ive considered wearing a tam or hat or something but im not to sure what to do... : /
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
when i worked in an office (mannaaging web designers) for the interview i showed up with my beard dreads tucked inside my shirt and wearring a tam, 1st day of work i see the receptionisys got crystals through guaged ears so i figured it wasnt all that uptight, 15 minutes after starting wiork i take off my tam andthe president of the company strolls by and stops in his tracks and just says "wow"after that my only comprimise from my usual daily style was i wore shirts that didnt have the sleeves ripped offu might wanna break it to em slower tie your hair back while its dreadin it wont look look too dready so u will be fine when dreads start to form if they say anything wear a tam, or wrap, if u go with wrap go for a solid xolor nutral black or somethinbg or headbands wide ones are bestmost jobs wont care

--
oReOs
@oreos
15 years ago
3 posts
soaringeagle's Right! just tie them back and that's the wonderful thing, the natural way is such a long process (but not too long) that they won't even know that you have dreads until it's too late. Plus by then they won't even care.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
at the point when they do notice and say something (if they ever do) then just say sorry i cant do anything about that i took the vow of the nazarine, but i can cover or tie em back while at work ..or something along those lines oReOs said:
soaringeagle's Right! just tie them back and that's the wonderful thing, the natural way is such a long process (but not too long) that they won't even know that you have dreads until it's too late. Plus by then they won't even care.

--
 / 10

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form