Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Rastas and Dreads

Shuaib ahmed
@shuaib-ahmed
14 years ago
154 posts
I was just wondering can you be a rastafarian without the dreadlocks? or are dreadlocks a must in that religion?I was tlaking to this about this with my friend and as I'm a muslim he was like I should get rid of the dreadlocks because they are a part of another religion and I shouldn't be following anything from another religion. Even though I didn't get the dreadlocks in the intention of following another religion.
updated by @shuaib-ahmed: 02/04/18 01:17:06AM
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
I don't know much about the Rastafarian religion so I don't know if you can be Rasta without dreads, but I think they can. I do know you can definitely have dreads without being Rastafarian. I have them and I'm not Rasta. Dreads are the way human hair comes together naturally. It's like someone claiming that straight hair is part of their religion and no one else can do it.
DON D
@don-d
14 years ago
18 posts
one of my favorite reggae bands said, you dont have to dread to be rasta, it is not a dreadlock thing... check it..Morgan Heritage "Don't have Dreads" its on youtube.. good song
Shuaib ahmed
@shuaib-ahmed
14 years ago
154 posts
Kool, cheers I will check it out
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
lolpeople are too funny with their stereotypes if someone is non supportive then who cares what they say
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
no u do not need to dread to be rastadreads are a choice a vow many rastas take its voluntarybutdreads are a part of muslim religion tooand cristian and hew and hindu and buddhist..and anad and .. dreads are really a part odf nearly every religion

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
oh and if you look up dreadlocks in the encyclopedia it says:"Dreadlocks are associated most closely with the Rastafari movement, but people from many groups in history before them have worn dreadlocks, including the Hindu Shiva worshippers of India, European Celts (particularly the Druids), historic African peoples,[vague] and the Sufis of Pakistan."so many cultures are associated with locks, just a little food for thought
Westcoaster
@westcoaster
14 years ago
81 posts
Dread locks do not need to be associated with religion at all but rather a lifestyle. For Rastafarians, they are unable to wash their hair so their dreads become an outward expression of their inward beliefs. Where I am from (and Knottysleeves ;-D), dreads are an expression of an earthy, laid back, and accepting lifestyle (we're a bunch of beach bums here).
Shuaib ahmed
@shuaib-ahmed
14 years ago
154 posts
kool cheers everyone.Actually Dreadlocks aren't a part of Islam, the sufis have them but they aren't really considered muslims from what I know. I am not completley sure of this but I think this is because the way in which they practice islam.As Long as the dreadlocks aren't a part of the rasta religion I dont have to get rid of them, because otherwise I am taking something from another religion.thanks :)
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
why would you cut your locks either way, Shuaib ahmed said:
kool cheers everyone.

Actually Dreadlocks aren't a part of Islam, the sufis have them but they aren't really considered muslims from what I know. I am not completley sure of this but I think this is because the way in which they practice islam.

As Long as the dreadlocks aren't a part of the rasta religion I dont have to get rid of them, because otherwise I am taking something from another religion.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form