Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Whats the best method to start dreading other then neglect?

Justine
@justine
14 years ago
13 posts
Hi my name is Justine I'm 17 years old and i've wanted dreadlocks since i was in 8th grade but i didn't start actually doing them untill a month ago. i've been doing the twist and rip method but i don't like how they are comming out they look like braids i don't have enough skill to do the twist and rip what other methods would work for my hair type? i have blonde semi-wavy hair.

(my hair was crimped in the picture)
updated by @justine: 02/14/15 05:22:54AM
Zachary Al Joseph Warfel
@zachary-al-joseph-warfel
14 years ago
34 posts
Backcomb I suppose, if you have to, but I wouldn't recommend anything but natural.
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
well, you shouldn't have to twist and rip more than once, if you keep doing it you'll just prevent your hair from dreading.I really like the t&r method, it's less destructive and more natural, so I'd say if you don't like em now, just go ahead and start over. But once you've gotten the initial t&r done, and have your rough draft dread formations, just leave it alone. Don't mess with em, it'll be hard, but do your best to let them go crazy!!They'll loosen naturally, then tighten naturally. Trying to over work them will just cause your progress to, well, not progress, lol.Welcome to the site, btw, I'm excited to see your dreads form up, I think they'll suit you really well!kthnxbye
Zachary Al Joseph Warfel
@zachary-al-joseph-warfel
14 years ago
34 posts
It sounds like you're twisting more than ripping because you said it's coming out more like a braid. Maybe that's the problem.
Justine
@justine
14 years ago
13 posts
Hm okay thank you i think i will stick with the twist and rip method for now maybe i am twisting more then ripping like zachary said! thanks for all the useful information guys :) Alden said:
well, you shouldn't have to twist and rip more than once, if you keep doing it you'll just prevent your hair from dreading.

I really like the t&r method, it's less destructive and more natural, so I'd say if you don't like em now, just go ahead and start over. But once you've gotten the initial t&r done, and have your rough draft dread formations, just leave it alone. Don't mess with em, it'll be hard, but do your best to let them go crazy!!

They'll loosen naturally, then tighten naturally. Trying to over work them will just cause your progress to, well, not progress, lol.

Welcome to the site, btw, I'm excited to see your dreads form up, I think they'll suit you really well!

kthnxbye
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
no prob, keep us updated, we all like to know how everyone's babies develop.
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
"What's the best method to start dreading other than neglect?"...Neglect. If you really desire dreadlocks then you'll just do it and not care what people think. If you can't get over what people think then dreadlocks aren't for you. Sorry to be blunt but I am telling you the truth. You have to have some thick skin for this life. T&R should be done only once and it should start working but you're probably messing with it way too much. Backcombing just looks goofy, usually at least and it's ironic to start dreads by combing because to keep them you can't comb...so yeah, just go neglect if T&R isn't working. =)Oh and blonde dreads are gorgeous by the way, you're lucky.
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Twist and RipI started mine with twist and rip. However the method of starting is just the start. Time and patience makes your dreadlocks continue to lock up.There is a video of someone doing the method on this site. I am not sure where though.
celestine✿۞
@celestine
14 years ago
80 posts
I would suggest your going natural or twist and rip, that's what I m thinking for startnig my dreads..I wouldn't suggest backcomb or felting, it will just just offer quick"results" but in the end, will cause enough damage to your dreads so that in some years they will fall out..I see this everyday with friends' dreads that started with backcombing and felting.Plus their dreads are just stiff and look fake..anyways, that's just my opinion, hope you're happy with everything you decide to do:)
celestine✿۞
@celestine
14 years ago
80 posts
GoldenEagle said:
Twist and Rip

There is a video of someone doing the method on this site. I am not sure where though.
you can find a video that helped me start myfirst dread here : http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/twist-and-rip you may not understand the language but just focus on what she's doing, it helped me a lot..
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form