Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

retwisting dreads risks

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
many african dread salons recommend re twisting dreads every 2 months. the theory being you need to twist to pull in loose hairs.this is false first of all, the roots need absolutely no maaintenance, the loose hairs will find a way into a dread, or form a new dread.but what can tetwisting hurt?2 things, 1 tention on the scalp and toots can cause thinning, weakening awnd even dread loss. dreads can break right off from over twisting.2 your walet, even if you found a cheap place to get dreads done, lets say 70 dollars for the 1st twisting, another 60 every 2 months can quickly add up and after a couple years youve spent 6-700 dollars on your dreads, all for something thats unesacary and harmful.will the salons ever tell you to stop twisting even after seeing thinning? nope, they like your money they will twist asnd twist till a dread breaks right off.this is very common with salon dreads started with twists. its fine to start them that way ofcourse but, as soon as they stop falling apart they should never be twisted again.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/14/15 06:33:41AM
Sami Ahmed
@sami-ahmed
14 years ago
23 posts
every risk you described I did. lol
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
stop it all and the worse u will have is weak spots u might want to allow the weakest ones to congo so they'll be stronger

--
Brody
@brody
14 years ago
3 posts
Salon dreads look kinda fake to me... I mean, I see a lot of dudes runnin' around with these perfect, thin, circular dreads and to me it looks as if they have hair extensions or a weave. They all look the same!Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Beijaflor
@beijaflor
12 years ago
20 posts

can twisting locs also lead to slower loc growth/retention? I have a friend that says the less he retwists the more he retains loc length.. would you agree?

Nick R
@nick-r
12 years ago
5 posts
How can you keep dreads looking neat without re-twisting?
Leah
@leah
12 years ago
32 posts

I think I really depends on what 'look' you're after and of course the texture of your hair.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

redefine what neat means it dioes not look neat to have bald spots all around yoir dreads but thats what salons call neat ,.to most people that looks diseased because it literaly is diseased but you let salons define that as neat

you make your own definition neat means just pulled back nicely or no giant congos it doesnt have to mean no loose hairs or thinnibg rots and balding

you decide for yourself what neat means

--
Nick R
@nick-r
12 years ago
5 posts

Well neat to me is all the dreads as '1' and noweirdstray hairs. I don't care if there like lumpy or notperfectcylinders. I just want dreads that don't have a lot of, stray hairs. I mean there has to be a way toachievethis with out re-twisting. and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I have to 'twist' to make my dreads, obviously I dont have dreads yet I'm still trying to convince my mom to let me.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

no u do not have to twist to make dreads u can just let dreads happen but the diference between twisting once and twistng monthly is you keep a constant tension on the roots that cause traction alopecia

now dreads are loose hairs alowed to dread

you will always have loose hairs between dreads they protect the scalp from skin cancer they belong there they become dreads when longer they should be left alone

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form