Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Introducing myself and question about how to be a nurse with dreads and not upset the boss

Emberanna
@emberanna
14 years ago
23 posts
Hi!I'm Emberanna and I just found this forum which looks wonderful. I have wanted dreads for a while but knew nothing about them so, I began to research on the Internet. First, I found DreadlockHQ and Knotty boy, but having learned that the first thing you find online is not always gospel, I kept looking. I found a lot of info, some confirming and some conflicting, and finally - and fortunately- found this site.I want to start my dreadlocks now, and let them develop on their own. (I have medium-thick wavy Caucasian hair). . . In fact I may have started them 2 days ago when I washed my hair and then did not brush it . . . BUT- I am an RN at a hospital that generally caters to the wealthy and the "VIP" patient and our director of nursing can't even stand jeans. So how in the world will I get this past the bosses at work?Help me out, nurses and others working in settings requiring a dresscode: How do you make your hair "acceptable" at work? My ideas, so far, are to braid my hair during the 3 days I work a week, and/or partially cover it, tie it ip with an attractive scarf. What do you think?I have worked at my job for 4 years but ist returned after a 6 month break. This winter, I will be leaving again to migrate south on a sailboat and live in the Keys/Carribean for 4-5 months, and then back to work again. So half the year, my hair won't be a problem but I don't want to wait until I am not working because it seems from what everyone is saying, dreading in a healthy natural way is a process of time. So why not begin now?I think this site is great and wanted to say hello.Thanks everyone.
updated by @emberanna: 02/14/15 08:39:56AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
tie em back or cover emif u tell your boss your dreading for spiritual reasons they cannot say anything or risk being siedbuti wouldnt even mention it till they do then just smile real friendly sand say i'm dreading for religios reasons" if you are asked if your a rastas just reply (yes or no dont matter" dreads are a part of most religions including christianity judism hindu muslim and more..then walk awayno need to explain beyond that

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I've seen many, many, many nurses with dreads. If you're saving lives, I don't think people care what you look like, haha.
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
14 years ago
183 posts
If you are good at your job and keep them back and out of your way you shouldn't have a problem... if the rule book says "acceptable hairstyles" but doesnt list specifics then you are gold. Not to mention it seems to only be a real issue to have dreads when you are any other race other than of African decent. I am sure they have issues sometimes with them too, but it isn't a common thing to see on other races. So it's outside a "norm" and for some reason frowned upon or considered dirty or messy. Where as if you are black it tends to be more acceptable and not questioned. I asked my friend about it and she said she never hears a word about her hair but the other girl she works with can't dye it half black half Blonde cuz it's not professional...but my friends dreads were never questioned...just an interesting observation.I went on a job interview the other day and I should know hopefully by the end of this week if I got it or not but she didnt mention my hair(Which was just tied back in a bun and had a headband.) or tattoos ( I have one on my neck you can't really cover) or even ask about piercings and we talked about them alot since I used to work at Icing by Caire's. It better not become a problem if I get the job and suddenly I can't have any of them.
Emberanna
@emberanna
14 years ago
23 posts
Soaring Eagle, thanks for pointing out the religious angle in relation to work. I'm hoping and expecting it will never come to that but if it should it is a great plan B. I wouldn't even answer if asked what religion I am because it really is none of their concern.Again, I love the wealth of knowledge here.

soaringeagle said:
tie em back or cover em if u tell your boss your dreading for spiritual reasons they cannot say anything or risk being siedbuti wouldnt even mention it till they do then just smile real friendly sand say i'm dreading for religios reasons" if you are asked if your a rastas just reply (yes or no dont matter" dreads are a part of most religions including christianity judism hindu muslim and more..then walk awayno need to explain beyond that
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
thats very true u just have to saty its spiritual thats it no other explansyion

--
Emberanna
@emberanna
14 years ago
23 posts
I think our winter migration will be awesome. My husband and I bought a trashed sunken sailboat on eBay for next to nothing and fixed it up. I'll try to post some pictures of it sometime.We are going to live on it and kayak and swim and and whatever else we want from winter to spring. Then we will come back to Northern Va cause he fixes boats up here during the warm months. Maybe I'm biased but I think he is the Dr. House of mechanics when it comes to diagnosing a broken motor etc.

Knottysleeves said:
If you are using the patience method, they're going to develop very gradually anyway. You could probably just tie them up/back or wear a wrap most days, and your uptight director won't even notice until your dreads are most of the way there... by which time you'll be leaving for your migration (which sounds AWESOME by the way).
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
my parents moved onto theyre sailboat for 3 years and sailed all round south america

--
Emberanna
@emberanna
14 years ago
23 posts
I think more people would be happy if they would let themselves do things like that. Everyone says "I wish I could do that" but you just have to do it or you will always be saying "next year" or "when I retire"Society wants us to think there is only one way to live. Go to school, throw yourself into college right away before you know who you are, major in something, get a career- often in somehing unrelated because you didn't know yourself when you picked your major, rely on your job because you have umpteen trillion in student loans, rack up credit card debt contributing to the economy, and pay your taxes all while making sure your car is clean and you have the newest bag and shoes.That is fine if it makes you happy but it is not the only way. Not the single possible path.People say, "that's smart, do it now before you have a baby". I say, if I have a baby, she is coming too, the next year. Boat children are some of the most well adjusted, well socialized happy children I have met.

soaringeagle said:
my parents moved onto theyre sailboat for 3 years and sailed all round south america
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Hi here is a youtube tutorial for head wrapping.
theres loads of nice wraps you can use.
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form