Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Loose Hair...

Libby
@libby
14 years ago
14 posts
This may already be something that has been addressed before so sorry if this is rehashing on info for you guys. I dont get much computer time lately..anyhoo! I was wondering what you guys do for all the loose hair that never locked up into a dread??I have loose hair around my face, and also in the top of my head. I have some around the back on my neck but I spotted a new dread forming from some of it the other day. All the loose stuff on top isnt dreading though...so....I am wondering if I should DO something with it, or just leave it to its own devices??
updated by @libby: 02/14/15 04:36:48AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
well you got 1 baby dread started more wi8ll start usually when they get long enough.i never do anything with mine unless im on a long road trip (like cross country) and i get loosies blowing in my eyes annoying methen id twist and rip or do an extremely loose version of interlocking yea i know u should never interlock to tighten roots but the way i do it hasnt hurt cause what i do is tir a knot in the end then flip it through in random directions and places just a few times..loosely like 4-6 times in 6 inches hair so theres absolutely no tightness it just holds it in place so it dreads easymostly tho i just leave em be and they dread on theyre ownbtw i only opt for that method over twist and rip cause 1 hands got alot of nerve damage and that method can be done 1 handed.. otherwise id definately t&r instead..and keep in mind thats a rare occurance that i ever do anything once a year or once every 2-3 years only on road trips longer then 24 hoursthey also might not form a baby dread but join a dread, or form a baby that congos with a dread real fast..i have alot of those

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
I would say just give it some time and it will lock up on its own or join into an already forming dread.
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
All the loose hair will either: 1) find its way into an existing dreadlock or 2) make a new dreadlock with other loose hair as you are finding out.In the long run, leaving them alone is better because you are always going to have loose hair due to your hair growth cycle.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
well also from seperating GoldenEagle said:
All the loose hair will either: 1) find its way into an existing dreadlock or 2) make a new dreadlock with other loose hair as you are finding out.

In the long run, leaving them alone is better because you are always going to have loose hair due to your hair growth cycle.

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
umm correction the nape and fringe is hardest and last to dread bit it dreads just fine when its ready\instead of crochet u could also try dreadballing ive never tried it but sounds like a better option then crochet

--
momma has dreads
@momma-has-dreads
14 years ago
159 posts
What I have done from time to time is take a upholstery needle, which has a large eye and rounded tip and take a about 10 inches of dental floss (non-wax) or quilting thread, tie it at the end with a firm tight tiny tiny knot, get the loose hairs together and loop the thread around it and weave the needle through the nearest dread, pull it up or down through the dread. My dreads are 4 mo old and not real tight yet, the needle I feel is not breaking, destroying and of the other hairs in the dread. See how it works. I would like to hear from others if they have tried this in pulling loose hairs into their more established dreads. I do not your the crochet hook. It works well for me in getting rid of the few loose hairs at my temples, around my ears and back of neck. Let me know if it works for you please. Other than that I would also just let them go were they feel at home at.peace out Knottysleeves said:
Most of it will get sucked into your dreads eventually. But some of it, like at your temples and nape, will always be loose because the hair is so fine and silky. It happens to all of us.
If it REALLY bothers you, get a crochet hook at any craft or sewing store (like the smallest hook you can find) and gently crochet the bundle of loose hairs into the nearest dread. You'll probably have to do it regularly, though.
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
this probably won't do a thing for straighter hair, but i just wrap my loose hair around the roots and they'll usually stay like that unless i shake my hair or something, or I'll do that and put a peyote stitch over it to keep it in place.
momma has dreads
@momma-has-dreads
14 years ago
159 posts
No I do not leave the thread in the dread..it is just to hold the hair while you thread the needle into and along your dread, going along the inside of the dread and then pull the needle out further up the dread, which you will pull the thread out which has the loose hairs in it....you are weaving your loose hair into the dread...does this help and see my poor poor drawing of what I am trying to relay to you. Let me know. peace

up t Knottysleeves said:
The sewing technique is interesting. I like the crochet needle method though because it gets the loose hairs tangled into the existing dread but still leaves enough slack (if done properly). I find tight roots very uncomfortable.

Do you leave the thread or dental floss inside your dreads?!

updated by @momma-has-dreads: 02/05/15 08:58:45AM
Libby
@libby
14 years ago
14 posts
That needle method sounds very gentle indeed! I think I may try that Lord knows I have tons of needles and thread here. I sew too LOL. Thanks for all the love guys, you are all 100% awesomesauce!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form