Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How did people react when you told them that you were going dready?

Lizzy Rue
@lizzy-rue
14 years ago
12 posts
I've been telling just about everyone about my plan to dread. My girlfriend, my parents, my boss, my friends. I found their reactions pretty entertaining, in so many different ways. My girlfriend is very supportive, she thinks I'll look awesome with dreads and she's excited to be a part of the process (she's going to help with the twist and rip). My mom pretty much said ok, cool, do what you want. My dad called me a dirty hippie (joking of course, he likes to pick on me). My boss probably had my favorite reaction when I asked him whether it would be an issue in the workplace (I work a a pizza place). For a minute he looked at me really weirdly, then he said "I have never been asked that question before". Not that he thought it was gross, apparantly he just found it very odd (He said it was fine in case anyone was wondering). My friends have had different reactions, from "Awesome, totally go for it!" to "It just wouldn't suit you" and the worst of all "I just think dreads are gross, I read somewhere that a guy cut off his dreadlocks and there were bugs/maggots in them".So I was just wondering, how did people around you react when you first started talking about growing dreadlocks?ps- sorry if i didn't put this in the right category...
updated by @lizzy-rue: 02/14/15 05:42:26AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
moved to life issues kinda fit therewell i didnt tell anyone i just went to the woods and came back with dreadsmom why did you do that (followed by 15 years of making a scissor motion with jer fingers everytime i looked her way and every conversation mentioning cutting)dad quiet acceptancesis played with embro smiled and made bird noises (he does that alot)boss..wow (stopping dead in his tracks as he wakked by)freinds ..all pretty possitivewell 1 gitl said "your cute id date you if youd just cut that hair" i replied "i wouldnt date u if you asked me to" she looked confused i guess she thought she was hit i dunno..i guess i figured why talk about it i wanted to do it so i did it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lizzy Rue
@lizzy-rue
14 years ago
12 posts
i think my grandma's gonna do the same thing your mom did. It's gonna be a fun day when she sees them! soaringeagle said:
moved to life issues kinda fit there

well i didnt tell anyone i just went to the woods and came back with dreads

mom why did you do that (followed by 15 years of making a scissor motion with jer fingers everytime i looked her way and every conversation mentioning cutting)

dad quiet acceptance
sis played with em
bro smiled and made bird noises (he does that alot)
boss..wow (stopping dead in his tracks as he wakked by)
freinds ..all pretty possitive
well 1 gitl said "your cute id date you if youd just cut that hair" i replied "i wouldnt date u if you asked me to" she looked confused i guess she thought she was hit i dunno..

i guess i figured why talk about it i wanted to do it so i did it
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Everyone was either curious and asked questions and/or encouraging.I sent out an e-mail, to the people who I thought might have an issue with dreadlocks, with a link to a website that has answers to commonly asked questions.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oh my mom offered me 10,000 to cutand my grandmom umm makes a sound i cant describeits a very granny kinda sound never knew if it was disaprovsal surpride ot simple eh well what ya gonna do..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
My mom thinks I am coming into my own and my brother says they are shit locks and thinks I am ruining my beautiful hair. I chase him around with one whenever he says that. LOLMost of the feedback has been positive.I am a noob though and just have loads of separation with baby dreads forming and looping and I put some twist and rips in the bottom but stopped because I prefer the natural dread better.
Bird
@bird
14 years ago
74 posts
Good lord. If someone offered me 10,000 dollars to cut my hair i would do it for sure... hair grows back. Money however, does not grow on my head. I'd use that and traaaavel! soaringeagle said:
oh my mom offered me 10,000 to cut

and my grandmom umm makes a sound i cant describe
its a very granny kinda sound never knew if it was disaprovsal surpride ot simple eh well what ya gonna do..
Alicia
@alicia
14 years ago
68 posts
I didn't really tell anyone..My husband loved the idea and was happy (still is)..and my friend helped me do them..so she knew. But that was pretty much it. When I told my family they all were like "nooooo" But once I posted pictures on myspace for them and have talked to them on webcam they all love them..especially my mom. My brother still feels like I ruined my hair..but hes always been very picky about girls hair haha. But yea..best thing to do is just not tell anyone and all and just do it :)
Orange Clock
@orange-clock
14 years ago
72 posts
10000, Why? Though saying that I got paid to shave recently. I needed the cash and I fel a lot cooler now soaringeagle said:
oh my mom offered me 10,000 to cut
and my grandmom umm makes a sound i cant describeits a very granny kinda sound never knew if it was disaprovsal surpride ot simple eh well what ya gonna do..
Daiguma
@daiguma
14 years ago
4 posts
Haha. I got my dreads this year, about 6 weeks in so far...I told mum i had a big news to tell her, when she saw them she said awww... dreads... i thought you were pregnant or something else... she was fine with it all. And we had a big laugh over it :)I'm a free spirit and people know that even at work.. so pretty nice responses. Good support, kids love em.My boss at work (principle) complimented them said they were Awesome!When people said "Hey you got dreads" i would respond "Yeah aren't they great!"No worries. My hair is on My head. Hee hee.I walk with my head high at work bouncin' around :)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form