Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

introduction and question! =]

caitlin
@caitlin
14 years ago
26 posts
hello! im new to the website and thought i would introduce myself. my name is Caitlin but since i could remember ive been known and Kittie or Kitten. sometimes Cat. anyway. im 21 years old. i do not yet have dreadlocks but have had them in the past. i used the backcomb/palm roll technique..eh. i want to go a more natural looking way this time..maybe more healthy. so ive chosen the twist and rip technique. i am super excited. i have missed my dreads sooo much. im also going thin this time.so here is my question!! my hair length is medium. so i would like to add dread extensions to it until my natural hair gets to a good length. i know how to dread extensions into natural hair useing the crochet technique but not quite sure on how to useing the twist and rip. if anyone has any tips or anything at all i would greatly greatly appreciate it =]im thinking mayyyybe i could just crochet the dread extension in because of it being just the bottom of my hair and top of the extension but thinking that that part will be thicker then the rest of my hair, and wont blend in very nice.thank you!!! =D
updated by @caitlin: 02/05/18 02:26:02PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
actualy now that i think of it crochet makes dreads extremely thin and unaturaly tight so even with twice the hair in that area it could be so compact its the same size wel untill it puffs back outhad an idea but will be hard to explainsplit the ends in 2 slip then into eachother like 2 v's then spit those in 2 wrap em around the other tuck in pull out any loose hairs wrap around tuck in in random spots the connected area will be weak at 1st tu=ill it fuses so slip a bead or peyote stitch over the joint or wrap ot the more random hairs u can get wrapped around and tucked in in random plasces the bettger i can visualize it easier then explain it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
shes probly totaly right about that Knottysleeves said:
You shouldn't even think about adding extensions until your dreads are at least 6 months old. You need a solid foundation of knots to crochet/sew the extensions to... otherwise it will all just fall apart, and you've done all that work for nothing. :-)

Also, if your dreads are still developing, the added weight of the extension will just pull on your natural hair and prevent it from knotting properly.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
caitlin
@caitlin
14 years ago
26 posts
thanks guys. my hair is will be way short if i dread it right now. i don't want to do it all natural because i want them as neat as possible. ill figure it out. thank you for the help! =]
caitlin
@caitlin
14 years ago
26 posts
no i understand. i don't want to do it by neglect. because that is (or so ive heard) kinda messy. i need them to be neat. which is why ive decided to do the twist and rip. i understand its not natural, that wasn't how i meant it. i guess i want them more natural looking? the way i would like my hair to be (size of the dreads and more of a subtle look) is Kelly Sharbaugh. i wasn't planning on crocheting all my hair! nooo! lol it was just me asking opinions on the thought of crocheting the extension into the actual dread only because i would only be useing the tip of my hair and the top of the extension. it was only a thought. Makarov said:
You said that you wanted to go natural...none of that crap is natural...=/...I'm confused as to what you really want. Lisa speaks the truth by the way.
caitlin
@caitlin
14 years ago
26 posts
eh i really do not like synthetic hair. i actually have synthetic dread falls from when i was younger and i honestly don't know what i was thinking. i personally don't like how they look. that's my opinion though. thank you =] Knottysleeves said:
Synth dreads might be a good option until your hair grows out? It's not expensive if you do it yourself (or train a friend to install them). It'll give you the thin, smooth look you want but it won't damage your natural hair if you install them properly.
IllumiKnotty
@illumiknotty
14 years ago
212 posts
synth dreads are so amazing ive always liked those on other ppl
caitlin
@caitlin
14 years ago
26 posts
oh no. and i completely understand that as well. i was trying to find out how she did hers and just hope for that subtle look like hers. the ones i had in the past were very thick, i know that i defiantly want them thin this time. Knottysleeves said:
I don't know who Kelly Sharbaugh is (and I'm too lazy to google right now) but just a word of warning: if you try to force your dreads to look exactly like someone else's, you'll probably be disappointed. There's no telling how your hair will dread compared to theirs.
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Twist and rip doesn't not produce neat dreadlocks. It produces really thin dreadlocks that have to go through a reversal/unraveling stage before the patience method starts.At the end of it all the only thing twist and rip or back combing does is it allows you to make sure your dreadlocks are going to be sectioned a specific way.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form